Revelate

Re: "High" Income In College

[ Edited ]

chris6291 wrote:

Well I easily make 25k working PART-TIME (28-34 hrs/wk) and going to college working at a pharmacy.

So I'm thinking if you can work full time and attend college full time as well, 40k is definitely possible. Of course, being claimed as a dependant, making 40k and going to college will make you pay uncle Sam extra taxes for sure. So it's actually not convenient if your parent's claim you.

My income tax return at 25k/year is $20-30 if I'm lucky since my parents still claim me as a dependent (they do provide support).

Of course, none of these incomes are actually "high." However, compared to other college students who make the minimum wage and work 8 hours per week, we are "well off."

It's like, instead of cheap ramen noodles, we eat the expensive ramen noodles!

haha!

P.S. I go to Tech in LBB. So it's really not that much of a difference between anywhere in Oklahoma and LBB.

Worked full time at Dell back in the day when I was taking 17 semester hours to try to keep from being kicked out of UT-Austin.  

Things didn't go well even with racking up solid grades (one EE class was self-paced, did the entire darned course in two days and took the final the next day), and I quit right after that semester.  I also was working full time taking 2-3 classes per quarter at UCLA later in life, that went better, but if you have a demanding job it's still incredibly awkward, especially if you're taking a non-trivial major once you hit upper division.

It's possible to do, but it's a really, really hard road and frankly I think you miss out on too much in college to justify it.  There's plenty of time to be making real income later.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 673, EQ 8 707, TU 720, EX 702* (09/02/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Open123

Revelate wrote:

It's possible to do, but it's a really, really hard road and frankly I think you miss out on too much in college to justify it.  There's plenty of time to be making real income later.

+1

In my view, much better to study, meet people, and enjoy the college experience.  Make the best of it, and hopefully you'll form friendships that will last a lifetime.  Whatever money you make in college (unless you're Bill Gates) will paie in comparison to the real money you will make once you leave.  

Anything you make in college will be a mere pittance compared to the day you hit your stride in your chosen profession.  

Frequent Contributor
Stralem

[ Edited ]

I worked 40+ hours a week while attending class prt time early in my undergrad career. I like how it forced me to learn how to more effectively manage my time, but given how I dropped from a solid 4.0 to a soul-crushing 2.7 over the span of three semesters, I ultimately regret doing it. $16000 in poverty wages was not worth the GPA hit.

Focus on your studies and save the real money grinding for after graduation.

But as for the original thread topic, that $16000 I made slinging pizzas plus all of my financial aid returns easily pushed me north of $30k/yr (only $26000 if I only counted grants). Did that qualify me as "high income"? Debateable... But given that I had a clean credit file back then (albeit thin) I probably could have qualified for any number of top tier cards.

財布に入っているカード

なかなかいいコレクションだよな~

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}