Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recipe

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

recipe

So I have been putting off going to the grocery store for a week now. The problem is, I'm tired of having the same thing every week. My grocery list never changes. I want something new and tasty to bring to the table for my family. I'm not picky and any new food would be great. Just something quick, easy, and tasty! It may be something that your family eats all the time, but with people on this board from all across the U.S., I guarantee it will be new to someone Smiley Happy I will share one of mine called "cheesy taters. (this is not my original recipe, someone else made this tasty dish up)

1can condensed cream of chicken noodle soup, 10-3/4oz

1, 12oz can evaporated milk

1 cup sour cream

1/2 c. butter

1tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1 pack of frozen tater tots(32oz bag)

2c. of shredded cheddar chs

1c of crushed potatoe chips

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Gently stir in the tater tots. transfer to a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheese and potato chips. (whatever order you like) Bake uncovered for 35 mins or until it gets bubbly. I have a family of four and we can have seconds at these proportions. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: recipe

DW and I switched gears in early July and started dieting. I've lost over 43 pounds since 7/6 and DW 23 lbs. One challenge we had before was time. Like everyone, we're super busy. Time-wise, it was always more efficient to eat out or get carry out but that did a number on us; unfortunately we did it every night.

Since time was more important to us, we changed our lifestyle to accomodate the lack of time. We started eating healthier and prepared foods that are fast, easy, very healthy, and very delicious. At one point I was a chef and have found these to be very easy and simple. Here's a couple of examples to shake up the monotony in any diet:

Chicken Parmesan

Serves 1, Prep 20 min.

2 tsp olive oil

3 oz chicken breast

1/2 cup sliced zucchini

1/2 cup diced green pepper

1 cup diced onion

1 T. Italian seasoning

Salt & Pepper

1/2 cup bottled marinara sauce

1 T. grated Parmesan cheese

1) Place oil in a nonstick pan and cook the chicken until it turns white and opaque, turning frequently.

2) Add veggies, stir and cook until tender crisp.

3) Sprinkle w/ seasonings. Add marinara sauce and cook about 5 min.

4) Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.

Chicken & Veggie Skewers

Serves 4, Prep time 10 min.

1 lb chicken breast cut into cubes

1/2 large red onion, cut lengthwise into quarters.

1 each green and red pepper, cored and seeded, cut into wedges

16 cherry tomatoes

1 cup fresh pinapple, cut in cubes (reserve 1/4 cup pineapple juice)

2 T olive oil

1 T. Italian seasoning

Salt & Pepper

8 bamboo or metal skewers (if bamboo, don't forget to soak first)

1) You can grill. I've also prepared it indoors in the oven at about 450 degrees.

2) Assemble skewers by alternating chicken, pinapple, onion, and peppers.

3) In a small bowl, wisk together the reserved juice, olive oil, and seasoning.

4) Brush each skewer with the pinapple juice mixture. Grill for 5 min. or cook in the oven for 10-15 or until done.

Had this dish tonight served with couscous. Perfect.

Message 2 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

This is my kids favorite meal.  Inexpensive and very easy to cook.  I prefer the chops with the bone in because it seems to have more flavor.  I make a little more sauce and pour it over wide egg noodles.

4 pork chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, about 1 1/2 pounds
1 tablespoon of oil
1 clove garlic, minced
Sauce:
2 teaspoons of oil
4 tablespoons of dry sherry or broth
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of water 

Trim the pork chops of fat. Heat oil in a skillet. Brown the chops on both sides. Remove and add a little more oil if needed. Sauté the garlic for a minute, being careful not to burn. Combine the oil, sherry or broth, soy sauce, brown sugar and red pepper. Place the chops in skillet. Pour sauce over them. Cover tightly. Simmer over low heat until chops are tender and cooked through, 30 to 35 minutes. Add a little water, 1 to 2 tablespoons if needed to keep the sauce from cooking down too much. Turn once. Remove the chops to platter. Stir in cornstarch dissolved in water. Cook until thickened. Pour over chops and serve. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, those sound really good. We were running into the problem of eating out every other night as well. It cost so  much money. I'm going to try these
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.emealsforyou.com/?gclid=CKKg0KDP5JwCFSUMDQodfFb3FQ

Allows you to pick meals, indicate number of servings and then develop a shopping list from the meal plan.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Broccoli & Mushroom Soup

1 bunch broccoli florets

1 - 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced

1 cup leeks, chopped

2 large cans chicken broth

1 pint milk or half-and-half

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

2 tablespoons flour

Sautee mushrooms & leeks in butter or margarine until tender.

Stir in flour, and heat until bubbly.

Slowly add chicken broth, and stir until thickened.

Add broccoli.

Simmer 20 minutes or until tender.

Add milk or half-and-half.

Serve topped with shredded swiss cheese and croutons, if desired.

Lentil Soup

2 cups cooked lentils

1/4 cup chopped cooked carrots

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1 cup tomato juice

2 cups lentil juice

1/2 cup finely chopped parsley

Mix ingredients, heat to a boil, add 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, salt to taste.

Here are a couple of my favorites with a Southwestern / Tex-Mex flavor: 

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 small pkg. corn tortillas, sliced or chopped

2 lbs. chicken breast,         "       "       "

1 onion, finely chopped

2 cans diced tomatoes

3 cans chicken broth

2 Anaheim peppers, diced

1 Pablano pepper,     "

1 bunch cilantro, chopped

Bring all ingredients to a boil.  Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes.  Serve garnished with grated cheese (Longhorn Colby, Monterrey Jack, or Pepper Jack) and tortilla chips, if desired.

Hearty Beef Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef

2 cans tomato juice

1 can diced tomatoes

1 onion, finely chopped

1 can sweet corn

1 can pinto beans

1 small can chopped green chiles

1 pkg taco seasoning

Cook ground beef and taco seasoning (according to instructions on seasoning packet).  Mix all other ingredients and simmer 30-45 minutes.  Add taco meat and enjoy!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.