Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11 Days Late... Am I in trouble?

tag
slarano
Frequent Contributor

11 Days Late... Am I in trouble?

I have had some personal problems going on in my life, and I neglected to check my AES loans this month. Due date was 2/17 and I was able to regain my account access this morning and make a payment on my account, to get it current asap. But it is listed as deliniquent on the AES site and that I am 11 days late. Is my credit report in jeopardy? Don't they have to wait 30 days until they can report it late? Should I take any precautions (screen shots, document anything?) to protect myself in case I have to dispute a late ding on my reports? I am in shambles for my stupidity letting my personal problems get to me, and now this may ruin my credit.... Help, please.

ImageImageImage

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Re: 11 Days Late... Am I in trouble?

You should not be reported as 30 days late unless and until you make a payment 30 days after the scheduled date. You paid 11 days late so you should be fine. That being said, I am a firm believer in CYA (cover your ...) so taking precautionary measures against a 30 day late being erroneously reported isn't a bad idea either. I would also suggest making a call to AES and just ensuring that they won't report it late to the bureaus, and also ask about any potential late fee/interest. I've found them easy to talk to and if there's anything that may have normally been tacked onto your loans they may waive it since you took the time to call and explain the situation.

Good luck!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 2 of 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

@atarvuzdar wrote:

You should not be reported as 30 days late unless and until you make a payment 30 days after the scheduled date. You paid 11 days late so you should be fine. That being said, I am a firm believer in CYA (cover your ...) so taking precautionary measures against a 30 day late being erroneously reported isn't a bad idea either. I would also suggest making a call to AES and just ensuring that they won't report it late to the bureaus, and also ask about any potential late fee/interest. I've found them easy to talk to and if there's anything that may have normally been tacked onto your loans they may waive it since you took the time to call and explain the situation.

Good luck!

+11

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 7
slarano
Frequent Contributor

When I called this morning, I spoke to three different people. I had to call to unlock my online access. Apparently (although it's never happened before in the few years that I've used the Mint website), AES tech support suggested that something like Mint could cause my account access on the AES site to lock due to multiple failed attempts. 

First person I spoke with was very nice, but did say I was 11 days late and that it is up to the lender whether they report me as late to the credit bureaus. I asked them about having to be 30 days late for them to report me, and they insisted that it's just completely up to the lender whether they report me being late or not. Second person was also nice and unlocked my account, then transferred me to the third person, also fairly nice, saying the same thing, that it's up to the lender (in this case I have Chase and NCT as the two lenders on my AES loans) on whether they'll consider my 11 days as worth reporting as delinquent and late to my credit reports. 

So I don't think I can get any assurances from anyone there, unless there's a backdoor number I can call to get something concrete? 

ImageImageImage

Message 4 of 7
FrugalRican
Blogger

@simonlarano wrote:

First person I spoke with was very nice, but did say I was 11 days late and that it is up to the lender whether they report me as late to the credit bureaus. I asked them about having to be 30 days late for them to report me, and they insisted that it's just completely up to the lender whether they report me being late or not. Second person was also nice and unlocked my account, then transferred me to the third person, also fairly nice, saying the same thing, that it's up to the lender (in this case I have Chase and NCT as the two lenders on my AES loans) on whether they'll consider my 11 days as worth reporting as delinquent and late to my credit reports. 

Call back, ask for a supervisor.

It sounds like none of them knew a concrete answer from what I am reading into it.

Or call the lender.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Slarano, I just had the same issue with AES loans, paid 8 days past the due date by accident and im freaking out since im in the middle of a mortgage process. Did they ever report you late?
Message 6 of 7
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Hi Cloudx9, nothing negative was ever reported on my CR's. Smiley Happy Although be aware that you may receive a letter in the mail from a CA...they apparently mail these out as soon as anyone is even one day late on their monthly payment. I would suggest setting up AutoPay with any student loans you may have, it's really peace of mind especially when you have a lot going on in your life at any period of time.

ImageImageImage

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.