Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

120 months or 300 months?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

120 months or 300 months?

Hi there.

I'm looking for anyone with actualy experience in paying off student loans. Not stories or heresay from strangers/friends. I'd love to hear your input on your loan repayment plans - as in, how you chose to pay off your debt.

Some background... I have approximately $160k in debt from schooling; currently working full-time and I'm thinking of doing a 25 year plan. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Re: 120 months or 300 months?

Hi:

Welcome to the forums.  My current student loan balance is $102,957.75 (gulp -- I know this is a mortgage for a lot of people).  I am currently in an income based repayment program with 240 months ahead of me.  However, I do work in public service and plan to get my loans forgiven after 10 years.

In your position, I couldn't imagine paying back $160K in 10 years.  I know more interest will be paid throughout the life of the loan when amortized over 25 years, but at least the interest is tax deductible.

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 2 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I also put my loans into the longest payment plan possible. I'm also in public service, so in 10 years they should be gone....or even sooner because I work in healthcare in an underserved area. Applying for National Public Health Service repayment.

So, I'd say your decision comes down to whether or not you'll be having to pay them all back yourself or if you are in a job where you will get some help. If paying them all back yourself, you might want to speed up the timeline. What will your interest rate be? That makes a difference.

Also, I was advised to not use IBR because my income would go  up high enough that the payment would have been higher on IBR than they are with the extended payments.

There are a lot of moving parts to making the decision.

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'm curious ~ for those of you who are planning to have loan balances forgiven, are there any tax implications ? Do you owe tax on the forgiven debt ? Also is there a ceiling on the amount that can be forgiven ? And does this apply only to federal loans ? Thanks for humoring me with these questions.....
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

im curious about this as well. 

for my mom. 

she has about 50k in school loans between a bacheolrs in business and her registerd nursing degree. 

and she is now a registered nurse for a big hospital in our area. would she apply? 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 6
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

Pizzadude:  I was also curious about the tax implications of PSLF, so I did some research.

re: 10-year Public Service Loan Forgiveness
– The amount cancelled is not taxable income.
–Clarified by letter from the Department of Treasury to Members of Congress on September 19, 2008.

I could not find information about a "ceiling" on the debt.  It is only for federal Direct Loans.  More information about PSLF can be found here: http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.