Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A newbie's student loan question

tag
pipergirl71
New Contributor

A newbie's student loan question

Hi all,

I am new to the boards and desperately trying to raise my credit score, currently 554.  I'm hoping to buy a house in another year or two.  A little credit/personal history on me:  for a long time, I didn't make much money (less than $20k/yr) and consequently didn't have money to pay my debts, so lots of things went into collections, among them, my student loans.  Hence the low score. 

In June of this year, I completed a student loan rehabilitation program, and according to the DOE, I am current on my loans, and consolidating the two loans I have into one so that I can get into the income based repayment (IBR) plan.  Everything was going well, and then I ran across this today in my credit report:

DOFD for the first two are 12/9/2005

Pay Status
Derogatory  
$49,384  
Educational  
Collection/Chargeoff

Pay Status
Derogatory  
$67,497  
Educational  
Collection/Chargeoff

Pay Status
Closed  
$56,041  
Educational  
Current

Pay Status
Closed  
$41,002  
Educational  
Current

I'm thinking the bottom two are the two loans that are current and being consolidated, but I'm thoroughly confused because I don't understand why the same two loans are showing up twice, and TU is saying that my current debt load is approx $220k instead of the $97k that it actually is (yes, I know that's exorbitant, and it's a long story for another post LOL).  Now what do I do?  Those derogs won't come off my report for another 2 1/2 years, but they are showing that the total amount I owe is twice what I actually do owe!  Help!  Do I dispute?  Do I call the DOE?  Do I write TU and/or other CRA's, and if so, what do I say?????

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sincerely,

Erin

EQ 702
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.