Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afraid to Log Into nslds.ed.gov Due to Default

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Afraid to Log Into nslds.ed.gov Due to Default

Hi,

The IRS is asking me for info about my total debt as of some arbitrary point in 2012, and I hear I can find out the student loan portion of that for that year. Default was mid-2000's and the loan was sent to a collection agency. I have not been in contact with either the Dept of Ed or the collection agency. If I go to nslds.ed.gov and enter a pin or apply for one, will that cause them to come running after me or to confirm my debt to the collection agency? Or will I just be able to look at my 2012 info in peace? It was a federal Stafford loan. The collection agency tried to prove the debt last year and failed. They haven't called since. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Afraid to Log Into nslds.ed.gov Due to Default

First, you should know that the NSLDS only lists federal loans, if you have private loans, they will not be listed.

I've never heard of anyone being contacted just because they used the NSLDS - I don't think you even need to provide contact information to register for a PIN, and if you already have your PIN, logging in should do nothing to alert the collection agency.  I would definitely use the NSLDS as a resource to get a handle on what you owe and who currently holds the debt.

As far as "confirming" the debt, what do you mean that the collection agency was unable to prove the debt?  If the loans are listed in the NSLDS, then they are on file as being yours.  If the information there looks wrong, I would reach out to the Ombudsman to get it corrected.  Otherwise, that information could be used to garnish your wages and seize your tax returns, and they do not have to get a judgment.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure that they have the SS#. The collection agency still has to do a few things to tie you to the account. I'd just rather not trigger unwanted processes. Their privacy message on their site is cryptic and very scary. To get a pin, you need to give the current address. I might have a pin already though. Not sure. 

Message 3 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure that they have the SS#. The collection agency still has to do a few things to tie you to the account. I'd just rather not trigger unwanted processes. Their privacy message on their site is cryptic and very scary. To get a pin, you need to give the current address. I might have a pin already though. Not sure. 

I suppose they do have to mail the PIN to you, I didn't think about that.  I still doubt that just logging into the NSLDS would trigger any type of alert or provide updated information to a collection agency or lender.  The NSLDS is one of the best tools available to you to help you get a handle on your student loan debt and start planning to address it.  In any case, not logging in to the system does not somehow guarantee that a collection agency will not catch up with you, or that your taxes will not be offset.  Personally, I would rather know what I was dealing with so that i could start working to a point where I could deal with it, even at the slight risk that a collection agency might get an updated address out of it.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK. Cool. They wouldn't report it on a credit report as a contact, would they? All the bad stuff is long gone on those. Thanks. 

Message 5 of 7
empiror22
Regular Contributor

Just  a little heads up, if the loan is a federal student loan (any thing listed in nslds.ed.gov) it will never go away... it has to be paid at some point, they will collect.  There is no statue of limitations on ANY federal debt.  I noticed you were afraid that they would add it back on your credit report, per the CRA acts over the last few revis.  they have basically said they can keep FEDERAL LOANS on your report as long you owe it or til they decide they don't care anymore.

Message 6 of 7
sean23
Valued Member

You should look into paying this off as soon as possible. Don't try to hide and contact the collection agency handling your account ASAP and tell them you want to rehab the loan with income based payments. They are required by law to give you an affordable payment. If this is a federal loan, it will never go away- the only difference being if you contact them for payment- you can rehab and turn it into a positive account on your credit report.. If you ignore and they have to force you to pay by garnishment etc. the negative mark stays on your report.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.