Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aged off student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aged off student loans

First post in the forums but a long time watcher. I have searched the topic and found alittle related to my topic but not much. I have aged off student loans in collections and want to clear my name, so to speak. They don't show up on my credit report but am looking to finally settle down and buy a house. Have worked myself up to a 720 score after purchasing a vehicle. I do have money saved up and would rather wait to get a house, and pay off my bad debt, then try to buy one right now. I wanted an opinion on my best course of action. I have been on the FSA website and got the contact info for the CA, but haven't called yet. If I do, does that reset the clock for the bad reports to the credit agencies? Should I consolidate or rehab the loans? Looking to take the the least severe hit to my score as it has taken a lot to rehab myself and to get to the point of even thinking about buying a house. Thank you in advance for any replies.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Aged off student loans

With federal student loans, there is no limit to how long they can collect the loans.  These individual negative marks have aged off your report, but the loans could be transferred to a new collection agency and that CA could start the reporting process all over again.  Since that's the case, the best thing to do is act quickly while they aren't reported and get them out of default so they can't be reported again.

If you aren't in a hurry to buy a house, I would still rehab.  Rehab removes the most penalty interest/fees, and it also results in backdated tradeline that can improve your credit score by boosting your average age of accounts.  Once you've started rehab, there's really no reason for the CA to change or report again, so you shouldn't have any additional negative information on your report either.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.