cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I too late too apply for student loans for Fall (graduate school)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I too late too apply for student loans for Fall (graduate school)?

Am I too late too apply for student loans for Fall (graduate school)? (How do I get started?)

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Am I too late too apply for student loans for Fall (graduate school)?

I think the deadline was April 1st...well for Financial Aid...as far as private loans...I really don't know...sorry...

Message Edited by slyhouse08 on 04-27-2008 09:38 AM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may still have plenty of time, depending on where you plan on attending and what aid you hope to get.  Usually the priority application deadline is April 1st, including for grants and scholarships, and probably assistantships/fellowships, and once that money is gone, it is usually gone (just grants and scholar).  I've seen students apply to our university in August and still get loans for school.

First two things you want to do: 1. File the FAFSA on-line ASAP (you will need your tax return info handy)  2. Talk to the financial aid office of the school where you want to attend and see if they still have any aid available.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to go to school in the fall too, and I remember on the FAFSA website it said you can apply even after school has started. It's just the later you apply the less chance there is money there.

Also, one school I just got into because I was waitlisted, and the other won't tell me until May 1. So if there's no money available, that really isn't fair, and doesn't make sense for schools that notify later than others.

I would go to the FAFSA site, and to the financial aid site of the school(s) you applied to, for more info.

good luck!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you may apply for FA at any time. The department of education doesnt set any time limit for the processing of the applications, but your school may. It is also a common misconception that the federal government will "run out of aid" if you apply later in the year, but this is not true. Any federal programs (stafford, Pell, ACG, etc) are fully funded all year long. You may live in a state where there are other grant and scholarship monies available, and they may run out, but that is a different story. I do, however, agree with the person who said do the FAFSA as soon as possible if you know you are going to school. Make sure to use your 2007 taxes and fill out the 08-09 fafsa online. Honestly, it only takes about a month to go from application to funding, depending on your school.
Message 5 of 6
msensa
Contributor

Congrats on your decision!   Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to apply!   I've gone to school for free for 4 semesters, and I'm 38, married with 2 kids!  My deadline to apply was March 15, but that may have been for my state and/or my school.

Best part time job I've ever had!Smiley Wink
I'm a tree hugging, peace loving, non-patchouli wearing new kind of hippie chick trying to find a comfortable balance in this consumer-driven world. I just wish I didn't have to care about credit.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.