cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any good resources on Private Student Loan default?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any good resources on Private Student Loan default?

Good morning,

I defaulted in December 2014, and have made on time payments since then. What are my options with improving this on my credit reporting, or getting it out of default?

I've been googling the last week or so, but it's difficult wading through all the federal student loan advice and not very helpful private loan advice. Any resources that you guys have found helpful?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Any good resources on Private Student Loan default?

Contact the specific loan provider, try to Goodwill with them, they might be able to help you rehab your report.

Message 2 of 4
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Some private SL holders let you do a Rehabit program like the federal one . You would have to call.your servicer to see if they could offer this to you.
Message 3 of 4
Erick12
Valued Member

Private loan rehab is extremely rare. As said, you will just have to check with your individual company. If they don't do it, then you're basically screwed as they will continue to report it as a current delinquency every month until you pay it off. You could try refinancing it with someone else, but the current status of the loan will keep your credit bad and prevent anyone else from refinancing with them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.