cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get Navient lates removed with goodwill letter?

tag
PrinceCorwin
Regular Contributor

Anyone get Navient lates removed with goodwill letter?

I've revently sent a goodwill to Navient to remove 40 lates (8 seperate loans for 5 total months each) that occured while I was incarcerated. Has anyone had any good experience getting Navient lates removed?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone get Navient lates removed with goodwill letter?

Are your loans paid off, or for some other reason, no longer guaranteed by a government agency?

Message 2 of 11
PrinceCorwin
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are your loans paid off, or for some other reason, no longer guaranteed by a government agency?

Not paid off. Currently paying monthly in good standing. Just trying to remove lates due to me being incarcerated during those months.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck with that. I have written over 30 letters just to get 1 90 day late removed and they will not budge. Let us know how it turns out for you.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PrinceCorwin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not paid off. Currently paying monthly in good standing. Just trying to remove lates due to me being incarcerated during those months.

Unfortunately it is not legal for them to remove the lateness. They are required by the federal government under the Higher Education Act to report any deliquency while the loan is still guaranteed by a government agency. This supercedes the 7 year rule of the FCRA.

Message 5 of 11
PrinceCorwin
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PrinceCorwin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately it is not legal for them to remove the lateness. They are required by the federal government under the Higher Education Act to report any deliquency while the loan is still guaranteed by a government agency. This supercedes the 7 year rule of the FCRA.

So do you think a loophole would be to refinance using NFCU and therefore the federal loans would no longer be active and they might possibly remove them?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PrinceCorwin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@PrinceCorwin wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So do you think a loophole would be to refinance using NFCU and therefore the federal loans would no longer be active and they might possibly remove them?

They would legally be able to remove them, yes, but I doubt they would given the circumstances. If they believed you paid them in full, possibly, but unless you were wrongfully incarcerated, they would probably not. It would be worth a try at that point, though, if you don't mind paying interest. You would never be eligible to discharge the loans under any circumstances, though, once they were no longer guaranteed by a government agency.

I will tell you that my student loan lateness occurred over a year ago, and while they are supressing my scores, it's not by much, and I am able to get financing under good terms with good lenders.

Message 7 of 11
PrinceCorwin
Regular Contributor

Ok, next question... Has anyone ever received a response, positive or negative, by mail from navient after sending goodwill letter?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

rehabRe: Anyone get Navient lates removed with goodwill letter?

I rehabbed 7 navient loans in sept 2016,all the collection baddies come off credit report but all 7 navient with 12 lates on each are still there.They say paid or paying as agreed but all the lates are still there.After rehab i read all these foroums and wrote goodwill letters 2 times a month,disputed  on all,called navient,emailed the ceo ,prolly 10 times.All lates are still there only thing ceo did was take off all assigned to govermentt off all 7.All navient usally does is say by law they can't remove any lates ,i just have to wait the 7 years.i still write a goodwill letter once a month or so,and still email the ceo every now and then,but i have no luck.I read several forums and people say after rehab the lates was removed and new ones put up with no lates,After i rehabbed they did come off EQ,EX for a month then new ones come up with no lates,Then a month later the old accounts come back with all the lates,There are like 85 lates total i got on them,they are from 2013-2014 at least.

Message 9 of 11
PrinceCorwin
Regular Contributor

Update 5/5/17

I got a response to my GWL on the navient site (my inbox). Refusal to remove. They are bound by law to report them as long as they are active. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.