cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone had problems with credit reporting by Guarantee agency?

tag
Desneige
New Contributor

Anyone had problems with credit reporting by Guarantee agency?

I had student loans with Sallie Mae that went into default in 2006.  They began garnishing my wages.  I could not afford this, and consolidated my loans with Direct Student Loans in 12/06.  Sallie Mae is correctly reporting $0 balance, with no reporting after that time.  ISAC (IL Student Assistance Commission), the state guarantee agency, continues to haunt and torture my credit report.  In 2010 I disputed this item.  ISAC update my credit report, with additional code G's up until 2010.  I challenged that, as this account ceased to be a collection account when it was PIF in 2006.  Disputing caused addition of additional G's.  I contacted ISAC and they sent me a letter that this account was PIF since 2006.  I mailed this letter to Equifax, then again disputed the account.  I called and repeatedly explained the problem to ISAC who keeps assuring me they will fix the problem.  MYFICO indicates that scoring model sees all these G's as 180 day lates.  I think that this one account is tanking my score, as it is the only negative on there that is <5 years old.  I need to apply for a loan next month, and am trying to figure out what to do here.  Want my score to be over 700, and this account seems to be the biggest thing standing in my way.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone had problems with credit reporting by Guarantee agency?

I would have a lawyer send my next letter to Equifax on my behalf... Seriously, I would do that if they didn't update this... it needs to happen like
yesterday!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 3
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone had problems with credit reporting by Guarantee agency?

@Desneige wrote:

I had student loans with Sallie Mae that went into default in 2006.  They began garnishing my wages.  I could not afford this, and consolidated my loans with Direct Student Loans in 12/06.  Sallie Mae is correctly reporting $0 balance, with no reporting after that time.  ISAC (IL Student Assistance Commission), the state guarantee agency, continues to haunt and torture my credit report.  In 2010 I disputed this item.  ISAC update my credit report, with additional code G's up until 2010.  I challenged that, as this account ceased to be a collection account when it was PIF in 2006.  Disputing caused addition of additional G's.  I contacted ISAC and they sent me a letter that this account was PIF since 2006.  I mailed this letter to Equifax, then again disputed the account.  I called and repeatedly explained the problem to ISAC who keeps assuring me they will fix the problem.  MYFICO indicates that scoring model sees all these G's as 180 day lates.  I think that this one account is tanking my score, as it is the only negative on there that is <5 years old.  I need to apply for a loan next month, and am trying to figure out what to do here.  Want my score to be over 700, and this account seems to be the biggest thing standing in my way.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had this problem with so many loans reporting back in 2007, so i did a consolidation with Chase...  When Chase sold the servicing to ACS in 2010, I ended up having 3 different account reporting the entire balance of the student loans... So ya, i disputed and everything that isn't open is now marked Closed / Transferred to another office

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.