cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have success removing a co-signer from a Sallie Mae private loan?

tag
greenmint

Anyone have success removing a co-signer from a Sallie Mae private loan?

Has anyone out there had success in removing a co-signer from a private Sallie Mae student loan? My husband has significant amounts of student loan debt (apprx $200,000), some of which his mother co-signed on back in the day. We make the payments on the loans every month, though we are quite a ways off from paying them off completly. He has been out of school for 7 years, stable job, decent income, spotless payment history. His mother just told him today that she needs proof of payment, as she is trying to refinance her own home. I'd rather not have her involved in our financial life, if at all possible, and suggested that perhaps the best option would be to see if we could get his Mom removed as the co-signer. I'm wondering how likely it is that this request will be granted? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone have success removing a co-signer from a Sallie Mae private loan?

This isn't from my personal experience, but I've heard from others' experiences that once you've made payments from the first month for 24 months straight with no late payments, the co-signer can be released from the loan if the person who needed the loan can prove (your husband) that they can continue with the payments on their own. But they would need to pass the 24th repayment mark with no lates--and since you're saying it's been 7 years with no lates, I'm sure it'll be fine.

And the person that I heard this from (a friend) was also a co-signer on Sallie Mae loans, and she got released after the 25th month. But you have to call them and request it get paperwork done.

Message 2 of 3
legacys7
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone have success removing a co-signer from a Sallie Mae private loan?

If I recall, this is only possible if the person/student has graduated or is still in school. If he/she hasn't graduated or is still in school, the co-signer will remain on the loan. I'm speaking from a student perspective, where I was told this by Sallie Mae. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.