cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for a student loan with my mom as a cosigner -- but is her credit score good enough?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for a student loan with my mom as a cosigner -- but is her credit score good enough?

My credit score is 710. My mom's is around 700.

I want to apply for a single student loan of $10,000 to study abroad for a year.

Do you think it will be accepted?

I have 3 credit cards and I have never made a late payment. I have had a credit history for 3 years. My mom, on the other hand, used to have poor credit because of my father, but she has been building it back up again over the past year.

Or do you think she would be better off applying for the Parent PLUS loan? That can be deferred until after I graduate, right?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for a student loan with my mom as a cosigner -- but is her credit score good enough?

Student loans are one of the easiest loans to get because one way or another you WILL pay them back even if it takes you 25 years or more. 

I would not have a cosigner for your student loans.  God, forbid something happens to you or your mom, that loan comes due immediately irregardless of your student status.  If you can avoid having student loans, I would avoid it.  The only way student loans go away is by either paying them in full, becoming 100% disabled or dying.  Unless you know for sure upon graduation you are getting a high paying job, I would avoid student loans as much as possible.  You can not declare bankruptcy and get out of student loans unless you can prove you can no longer work due to a proven disability, very hard to do. 

Upon graduation you could be paying anywhere from $0-$500 a month or more depending upon how long and how much your repayment plan is.  Would you or your mom be able to afford a $500 a month payment on top of living expenses.

Yes you can get the loans deferred while in school or if you are having financial difficulties but they will continue to accrue interest and once you start paying them back  your payments go to interest first then principle.  A $10,000 loan can easily roll over into $50,000 or more if you take to long to pay them back.  If you can get grants/scholarships instead go for the free money.  

If you are interested in studying aboard check into scholarships and grants that may cover the cost.  Just remember you will need money for living expenses over there and depending upon where you want to go, it could cost a lot more than here.

One way to travel on the government's dime is either the military or peace corp. 

Just be aware that student loans will be something you or your mom will owe until they are completely paid off.  If you don't pay them off, you could end up having to deal with the IRS, they will garnish your wages to pay off a defaulted student loan.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.