Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved Disabled but Loans still report late

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved Disabled but Loans still report late

I became disabled in 11/2006 and sent Sallie Mae all the necessary award letters, yet they continue on a monthly basis to show be over 120 days late.  They show payments received via disability insurance so they are receiving their money (I'm guessing), so why do they continue to report me over 120 days delinquent if they are receiving money from disability insurance?  I am sending a dispute letter to TransUnion and Sallie Mae but in the interim, can anyone tell me why they continue to report even though they are receiving money?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approved Disabled but Loans still report late

Was this some type of outside insurance plan that pays them??  Are they being paid enough?  And on time?  Before you dispute, you probably should double check.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I honestly don't know, I was told by Sallie Mae to submit my SSA award letter and did so and since then didn't hear back from them.  Then when I looked at my credit report a note was put in the area where Bankruptcy is usually listed and it said "Paid by Insurance", so I assume they must have some sort of internal insurance plan they use that pays them when people become disabled???  I really don't know, but I guess once they receive my letter that I'm sending today, they will hopefully respond to me on this question.  Thanks for your response!
Message 3 of 7
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Paid by insurance means you have defaulted on the loan....it is not being paid on.  I am assuming SSA is something to do with social security disability....did you do the permanent disablity paperwork?  Did you physician fill it out?  FYI....just being declared disabled does not automatically qualify you for loan cancellation
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, SSA is Social Security Disability and yes, I had my doctors complete and submit Sallie Mae's disability form, does this mean they did not receive this information (or are saying they didn't)?
Message 5 of 7
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Have you received any follow up from SM over the past 3 years??  Past due notices?  Default notices? Have your tax returns been taken?  Anything on the status of your disability?  Call them...they will probably refer you to your guarantor....
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No to all of your questions, no notices, no letters, nothing.....I will call them.  Thanks so much for all your help!  Have a great day!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.