cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there student loans that are not allowed to be rehabbed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are there student loans that are not allowed to be rehabbed?

I just spoke with a student loan rep and the lady just told me there are no options but to pay to bring it current.

Is this something they just say to the ignorant or is there anything I can do to get them to remove the default status once I become current
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: Are there student loans that are not allowed to be rehabbed?

It depends on the type of student loans you have. The rehab program that most people are referring to here are for Direct Loans or FFEL loans. Here's the information on the Federal Student Aid Loan Rehab Program http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/default/get-out.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 2 of 5
SCF
Valued Contributor

What type of loans do you have?

As the poster above said, rehab is only available for federal student loans.  It also may not be an option for very old loans (I don't think the rehab program has been around forever, maybe someone can correct me?), and it is definitely not an option if you have already rehab'd once in the past.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a private loan in default. What's my best course of action?

Pay and send GW letter?
Message 4 of 5
SCF
Valued Contributor

That's basically your only course of action.  If they will accept a reduced amount in return for immediate payment, that's great and you should take advantage of it.  Student loans don't go away except in extreme circumstances with a good lawyer, so getting out from under these should be a high priority.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.