MrRIP

Are there student loans that are not allowed to be rehabbed?

I just spoke with a student loan rep and the lady just told me there are no options but to pay to bring it current.

Is this something they just say to the ignorant or is there anything I can do to get them to remove the default status once I become current
Frequent Contributor
kjel

Re: Are there student loans that are not allowed to be rehabbed?

It depends on the type of student loans you have. The rehab program that most people are referring to here are for Direct Loans or FFEL loans. Here's the information on the Federal Student Aid Loan Rehab Program http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/default/get-out.

Starting Score: TU: 549 | EQ: 549 | EX FAKO: 541
Current Score: TU: 572 | EQ: 665 | EX: 624 | Credit Karma: 599 | Quizzle: 663 | Credit Sesame: 657
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Community Leader<br> Established Contributor</br>
Community Leader
Established Contributor
SCF

What type of loans do you have?

As the poster above said, rehab is only available for federal student loans.  It also may not be an option for very old loans (I don't think the rehab program has been around forever, maybe someone can correct me?), and it is definitely not an option if you have already rehab'd once in the past.

MrRIP

I have a private loan in default. What's my best course of action?

Pay and send GW letter?
Community Leader<br> Established Contributor</br>
Community Leader
Established Contributor
SCF

That's basically your only course of action.  If they will accept a reduced amount in return for immediate payment, that's great and you should take advantage of it.  Student loans don't go away except in extreme circumstances with a good lawyer, so getting out from under these should be a high priority.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+