Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these accounts disputable?

tag
bunga7
Regular Contributor

Re: Are these accounts disputable?

I didn't mean to imply that closed loans won't fall off after ten years. What I meant is that federal loans will  have to be repaid one way or another. There are few ways to get out of paying a federal direct student loan. But the Dept. of Ed is actually not too bad to work with as far as rehabbing loans and getting back on the positive side of loans. BHut you have to communicate with them. They are not just going to charge-off loans.

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@scvbd99 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Federally backed student loans do not fall under the FCRA reporting guidelines, they fall under the Higher Education Act and can stay for 7 years from payment, 7 years from default date or 7 years from the first time they were reported to the CRAs.

I've got 14 tradelines right now from 2 different federal serviceers that are closed federal student loans.  Each of them was closed in positive status, and they're all showing to stay on my credit reports for all 3 bureaus until 10 years after they opened.  

I've got a lot of friends with similar situations from pretty much all of the big servicers of federal student loans.  

Either you're incorrect, or there are massive, widespread reporting issues that benefit those of us with closed positive federal loan tradelines.  

Thanks. 

I was referring to negatively reporting SLs, since that is what the question was about.  I was not referring to positive positve ones.

There is no law stating how long a positive standing account can remain.  Those are purged by the CRAs generally 10 years from the date closed.

And I am not incorrect, it came straight from them:

20 U.S. Code § 1080a - Reports to consumer reporting agencies and institutions of higher education

f) Duration of authority

Notwithstanding paragraphs (4) and (5) of subsection (a) ofsection 605 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. 1681c (a)(4), (a)(5)), a consumer reporting agency may make a report containing information received from the Secretary or a guaranty agency, eligible lender, or subsequent holder regarding the status of a borrower’s defaulted account on a loan guaranteed under this part until—

(1) 7 years from the date on which the Secretary or the agency paid a claim to the holder on the guaranty;

(2) 7 years from the date the Secretary, guaranty agency, eligible lender, or subsequent holder first reported the account to the consumer reporting agency; or

(3) in the case of a borrower who reenters repayment after defaulting on a loan and subsequently goes into default on such loan, 7 years from the date the loan entered default such subsequent time.

Message 12 of 14
bunga7
Regular Contributor

As far as the many TL's, I have quite a few as well that are closed (consolidated) and will fall off my CR in a few years. Actually, having two student loans that I've been paying on time has helped alot. I still had some semblence of good TL post BK because of those two loans.

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 14
scvbd99
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Federally backed student loans do not fall under the FCRA reporting guidelines, they fall under the Higher Education Act and can stay for 7 years from payment, 7 years from default date or 7 years from the first time they were reported to the CRAs.

I'm sorry, but this statement is incorrect the way it is phrased.  

If you added "defaulted", then it would be correct.  Otherwise, it simply is not.  

Anyhoo, to stay on track with the OP's question, the only way you can dispute them is if you have proof that the borrower requested forebearance, was approved for it, and then didn't receive it.  

800+ for all 3 CRAs.

Student loan forgiveness/discharge FINALLY complete.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.