Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance needed to remove lates from AES/US Dept of Education

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assistance needed to remove lates from AES/US Dept of Education

Hey guys/gals, need a little help in removing late payments back in 06.  I lost my job in 06 and no longer could pay on my student loans.  I was an idiot and didn't realize you could defer payments due to economic hardship, so stupid but I honestly didn't know until a few months later which I then deferred.

AES at the time owned 4 seperate school loan accounts, I missed 5 total payments with each account, so 20 late payments all together.  I was making payments before I lost my job so I did have some sort of established payment history with them.  I sent out a GW letter 2 weeks ago with no response yet.  I ended up consolidating the school loans with Sallie Mae in 07 as well.

Should I keep sending GW letters?  Does persistence pay off?  Anything else I could do?  Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Assistance needed to remove lates from AES/US Dept of Education

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys/gals, need a little help in removing late payments back in 06.  I lost my job in 06 and no longer could pay on my student loans.  I was an idiot and didn't realize you could defer payments due to economic hardship, so stupid but I honestly didn't know until a few months later which I then deferred.

AES at the time owned 4 seperate school loan accounts, I missed 5 total payments with each account, so 20 late payments all together.  I was making payments before I lost my job so I did have some sort of established payment history with them.  I sent out a GW letter 2 weeks ago with no response yet.  I ended up consolidating the school loans with Sallie Mae in 07 as well.

Should I keep sending GW letters?  Does persistence pay off?  Anything else I could do?  Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

I would certainly keep sending out GW letters. Maybe you can get names/addresses of people higher in the pecking order. Sometimes, a letter addressed personally to an individual may get more attention. Point out that you were good before, and you've been good since. Be nice. Be humble. Take responsibility. I wish you luck.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lynette.

I will do some homework to see if I can find anybody specific that is on the high end of the totem poll.

In addition, does anybody have any specific information at either AES or US Dept of Education?  Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
pattycake
Established Contributor

I tried to GW a few years ago and they told me no. But, I have also found they don't tend to report lates for seven years.
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

how long did your lates report?  How much less than 7 yrs? I've tried numerous GW letters to no avail.   I'm going on 5 yrs after the last late but they still report.
Message 5 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
how long did your lates report?  How much less than 7 yrs? I've tried numerous GW letters to no avail.   I'm going on 5 yrs after the last late but they still report.

are your accounts paid off & closed, or are they still open?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.