Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Private Student Loan

tag
reneasworld
Regular Contributor

Best Private Student Loan

I need to take out a private student loan for some classes that I am taking during the summer that are not eligible for Federal student loans. It is two classes but I am told they should be eligible for private student loans. Who are the best student loan companies with my current scores? I need to register for the classes now because some fill up quick. I bank with Wells Fargo and was wondering if I should inquire with them or not?

Starting Scores (5/2014): EQ 569, TU 601, EX 589
Current Scores (07/08/2015): EQ 640, TU 640, EX 654
Goal (12/2015): 700 across the board
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Private Student Loan

Is your score 569?  You are almost certainly going to need a co-signer.  Many borrowers need a co-signer even with a much stronger credit score (unless they also have an established income that would support repayment).

Have you asked at your school's financial aid office?  Sometimes the school will have a pool of money to make these type of loans from, and they may not have the same strict credit requirements as many private lenders.

Message 2 of 4
reneasworld
Regular Contributor

That was my starting score last year. My current scores are 620,625 and 635.

Starting Scores (5/2014): EQ 569, TU 601, EX 589
Current Scores (07/08/2015): EQ 640, TU 640, EX 654
Goal (12/2015): 700 across the board
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not advise you to apply with Wells. Their terms are a bit harsh and they often require a cosigner. Instead head to the financial office of your school and browse what options you have available.

Then, if the search isn't positive call Sallie Mae/Navient and inquire(inquire only!!!!!! do not let them lure you into applying you don't want that hard hit as an inquiry yet) based on your credit score. Do that by requesting to speak with a credit analyst.

Weigh you option and take the dive. Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.