Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Remove Student Loan Lates off CR

tag
daudi81
Valued Member

Best Way to Remove Student Loan Lates off CR

I'm sure this is a common story - but maybe my situation is a bit different.

I got a few 90-120 day lates with Nelnet (YUCK) a lloonnnggg time ago. They were literally my first student loans, and I didn't know much about them - I know that doesn't excuse my late payments - but there it is. My father passed away, and I was out of school for awhile - so obviously my address had changed, as well as my email (only email was through my university, which I wasn't attending anymore), and I honestly don't even know if they tried to contact me. Once I got back into school a few months later, I found out what had happened.

Anyway, fast forward several years - I'm married, 4 kids, etc - and we're about to buy a house. I have no idea how much these lates are affecting my score, but whatever I do it doesn't seem like I can get above a 700 reliably - and this is with very long credit history, several cars paid off, a lot of credit with very low balances (1-5%), etc. I've had a few lates 30 day lates like everyone else, but the newest is 2-3 years old. The only thing I can think of is these Nelnet lates.

The unusual part is that a few years ago, UHEAA bought out my loans from Nelnet (I never asked them to). Now my loans are with UHEAA - and Nelnet isn't very helpful to boot.

Does anyone have any advice? I owe about $30k, and can pay them all off in one lump sum. However, I've read a few guides that say to start paying the minimums monthly to show good faith and give them more reason to see a good history. But the fact that Nelnet doesn't even own the loans anymore is making things complicated.

Is there any standard way to go about doing this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Way to Remove Student Loan Lates off CR

I have my student loan with GL.  It was my first student loan and I did not know who or when my payment would start.  They had been sending the info to an old email that I had not used in a long time.  It took close to 9 months and finally I spoke with an customer advocate with GL.  Finally, I just received notification that they are removing my lates and it was put in electronically last Thursday  6/5/14.  DONT give UP!  Push and keep asking.  Explain the delima, and put the individual in your shoes.  Its an arduous process, but you can get to the right person.  I don't care if you find out who the CEO is. 

I'm really sorry about the Loss of Your Dad.  Life, that is what is important.  There are people who value it as much as you do, and do have a heart to do something.

Be Bless and Good Success!

Message 2 of 6
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@daudi81 wrote:

I'm sure this is a common story - but maybe my situation is a bit different.

I got a few 90-120 day lates with Nelnet (YUCK) a lloonnnggg time ago. They were literally my first student loans, and I didn't know much about them - I know that doesn't excuse my late payments - but there it is. My father passed away, and I was out of school for awhile - so obviously my address had changed, as well as my email (only email was through my university, which I wasn't attending anymore), and I honestly don't even know if they tried to contact me. Once I got back into school a few months later, I found out what had happened.

Anyway, fast forward several years - I'm married, 4 kids, etc - and we're about to buy a house. I have no idea how much these lates are affecting my score, but whatever I do it doesn't seem like I can get above a 700 reliably - and this is with very long credit history, several cars paid off, a lot of credit with very low balances (1-5%), etc. I've had a few lates 30 day lates like everyone else, but the newest is 2-3 years old. The only thing I can think of is these Nelnet lates.

The unusual part is that a few years ago, UHEAA bought out my loans from Nelnet (I never asked them to). Now my loans are with UHEAA - and Nelnet isn't very helpful to boot.

Does anyone have any advice? I owe about $30k, and can pay them all off in one lump sum. However, I've read a few guides that say to start paying the minimums monthly to show good faith and give them more reason to see a good history. But the fact that Nelnet doesn't even own the loans anymore is making things complicated.

Is there any standard way to go about doing this?

Hmm, this is surprising to me! I'm brushing the bottom of 700 despite being in a situation similar to yours (last lates one year ago). By which I mean, you really should be able to crack 700 despite those lates. How many positive loan (rather than credit) tradelines do you have? 

If you search around this forum you'll see people have had some success receiving goodwill removal of lates from Nelnet. There's a thread from a few years ago with a guy who was giving out the email he used left and right. I, however, missed the boat, and haven't been able to find a good point of contact. 

I'll let you know if I do. Let me know if you do, as well Smiley Happy

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

As soon as I find out the impact of the GW, I will post the score jump. This would give me 3 timely loans.
Message 4 of 6
ACG23
Regular Contributor

@Drsgwld wrote:
As soon as I find out the impact of the GW, I will post the score jump. This would give me 3 timely loans.

Congratulations on that by the way! Can you share more of your strategy for getting the right person?

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I called and was unrelenting asking for a Supervisor when C SRVS reps had no power. The supervisor put in at least 3 GW request to the credit dept and each time I was turned down. My issue was I was unaware that the loan came due. They had sent my loan payment to an old email addy the college provided from 1992. Interesting enough, I was told by the lender that unless your drastically late 120+ they won't send a letter if they have an email on file. When they do call, they can not identify who they are or what it's about until you provide, correct spelling of your name, current address/phone, SSN and Other security info. As well, when they do send a letter, it's in a blank envelope. My argument was this sabotaged me from being able to find out who my lender was and the ability to pay.

After a series of request via email, even asking for the CEOs name and contact info, they put me through to a customer advocate. I ask her point blank if someone called asking for identifying secure info to her college child, without knowing who was asking for the info would she advise her child to give out this info? She said NO!!!

I put her in my position on all accounts. She called a meeting with other supervisors and they drew up a policy to tackle case by case issues.

The problem is, the Fed Gov set these contact standards and they were justifiably in the right. Any other lender would be nailed for failure to properly contact. With that said, the lender can take an active heart and do a goodwill. Yes, there are those who just blow things off and don't apply for deferments etc. This was NOT the case. There are extenuating circumstances which can be looked at. My payments, once I found out is nearly double what I'm required to pay. I've never missed a payment and I'm set up on auto pay.

I hope ALL of this helps!!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.