Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to get Masters Degree?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Way to get Masters Degree?

I have been thinking very hard lately about going back to school to get my Masters Degree.   I have been running my own business for almost 20 years and love what I do.  But it's a franchise and over the last couple of years it has felt more like I am a glorified manager than an owner.  I still have most of the headaches of an owner but not all the freedom.  Pretty much have to play by their rules or not at all.  Make decent money but could probably make just as much out in the real world without the headaches.

Anyway, with all that said.  I have a Bachelor's degree in business with a specialization in accounting.  I'm thinking of maybe just a general MBA or maybe something still focused on accounting and finance.  

Thinking about maybe working in the banking/finance industry.  Or maybe some kind of College instructor at the local Community College.  So my questions are for anyone out there that might could shed some light for this mid 40's man.

Never had to have a student loan before.  Not sure how that process works.  

Not sure how to locate a GOOD online Masters programs that won't cost me a kidney.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Way to get Masters Degree?

I started my MBA at WGU university online and it is awesome. Very financial friendly and is is a true self paced program. Best thing to do is research what programs interest you then do the FAFSA. FAFSA is so easy, all online now and send to those universities that interest you. It had definitely been worth it for me.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I started my MBA at WGU university online and it is awesome. Very financial friendly and is is a true self paced program. Best thing to do is research what programs interest you then do the FAFSA. FAFSA is so easy, all online now and send to those universities that interest you. It had definitely been worth it for me.

I'll have to check them out.  I have family that have been through Ashford Univ.  and have also checked into Liberty University as well.  

Thanks for the information.

Message 3 of 11
Samac
Regular Contributor

Just note that you'll be getting grad loans which do a credit check. You don't have to have excellent credit to recieve these, but you can't be sub 600 either. I doubt you're in this situation, just thought you might want a heads up. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samac wrote:

Just note that you'll be getting grad loans which do a credit check. You don't have to have excellent credit to recieve these, but you can't be sub 600 either. I doubt you're in this situation, just thought you might want a heads up. 

Did not know that.  But does make sense.  Thanks for the info.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Samac wrote:

You can still receive Federal loans, the same as undergrad. $20,500 a year, unsubsidized.  There is no credit check, just the usual FAFSA.  As for "good" schools, for your MBA you really should go to an AACSB accredited school, especially if you want to get into finance. There are plenty with online programs.  I chose The University of Scranton as the price was right,about $36k total, and I was able to have 2 concentrations--Accounting and Operations Management .  

Message 7 of 11
dbslove2
Valued Member

Thank you for this post. i am in the situation with wanting to get my Masters as well. My son is a second year sophmore in college and I have a daughter that is in her second year of High School. My how time fly's. . I am taking the plunge now.. Thanks again.. FASFA completed now on to the books.

Message 8 of 11
reckedhim
Frequent Contributor

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@reckedhim wrote:

Check out this list.  It may give you some ideas.

http://www.geteducated.com/online-college-ratings-and-rankings/best-buy-lists/best-buy-online-master...

Great site.  thanks.  This helps a lot.   Definately gonna check into Fayetteville State University.  

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.