cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brother needs a cosigner...Should I..HELP!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Brother needs a cosigner...Should I..HELP!!

I'm glad you said no - you don't want to deal with this when applying for a home loan.  And you said you can't afford it, so there's your answer.

I had to work full time and go to school in the evenings and on weekends.  It took me 7 years to finish but I did it, and if I couldn't afford tuition I sat out a semester.  At one point I worked at the school, so they paid tuition. 

There are ways to get an education if you really want one.  Honestly, I'm glad my parents didn't bail me out when I lost my scholarship my freshman year.  I needed a kick in the ass. 

He'll be fine.  Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 15
jdsays
Contributor

UPDATE:

So I got some good news about my brother.  After I told him I couldnt cosign, he went back to my dad and told him he basically couldnt do it without him and my dad FINALLY reluctantly agreed to cosign!   We are all relieved and because my dad is the one who can afford to help and he should.  Now its just the question of if he should get a few small loans from different lenders or get one large one to cover the missing portion. 

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ: 590 TU: 599
Current Score: EQ: 642 TU: 683
Goal Score: 720 by 12/31/10

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
lkcrew426
Regular Contributor

@jdsays wrote:

UPDATE:

So I got some good news about my brother.  After I told him I couldnt cosign, he went back to my dad and told him he basically couldnt do it without him and my dad FINALLY reluctantly agreed to cosign!   We are all relieved and because my dad is the one who can afford to help and he should.  Now its just the question of if he should get a few small loans from different lenders or get one large one to cover the missing portion. 

Thanks everyone for the advice.  Smiley Very Happy

Speaking from the viewpoint of someone whose credit report is sporadicly spotted with various student loans (transferred here . . . moved there . . . etc) I would say go to one lender. I think I have 11 accounts on my credit report (edited to correct error) from a grand total of 2 student loans. Smiley Mad

Message 13 of 15
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad to hear that it worked out for your brother, and that your father stepped up when his son needed him.  To me, he (your father) was just being stubborn, like you said, and was creating excuses.

You have given your brother something as well - an education in the world of credit.  Hopefully this experience will allow him to avoid the credit pitfalls that so many others have experienced.  Good luck to you both!

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If he's short $10K so in 4-5yrs he leave school he'll be $60K in debt. Smiley Mad

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.