Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT INCREASE on my Student Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CREDIT INCREASE on my Student Loan?

Can someone please explain to me why my experian score dropped 15 points from a "credit increase" from Fedloan Service (student loan). I don't know what it means and I didn't apply for any increase. I got screwed.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: CREDIT INCREASE on my Student Loan?

Where are you getting this information?  Can you compare your report before and after this change?  What changed with your loans?

The only change I can think of that might be a "credit increase" would be the interest being capitalized.  This would change the utilization percentage on your student loan (possibly even making it > 100%), but it would have a very minimal impact on your FICO.  FAKO scores weight changes like this differently.

Message 2 of 8
Dianamarie1013
Valued Member

Weird my husband got the exact same thing and I was wondering this myself. No nee school loans but fedloan increased from 2500 to 5500.
Message 3 of 8
MattInBham1979
Established Member

I just saw this same thing happen with a friend of mine who I'm helping along...

The alert he got was exactly the same.  We pull the full report and discovered that:

Up through 12/2014, there were two Fed Loan tradelines representing considations of subsidized and unsubsidized loans (one loan representing the subsidized and one representing the unsubsidized).

Starting with the data reported as of 01/31/2014, which only just recently posted to the reports, it appears that Fed Loan servicing has combined the outstanding balance, monthly payment amounts, and total original balances of the loans as one trade line.

If your student loans were positive tradelines then, this has compound negative effects on you:

1.  Average age of accounts quite likely goes down because youv'e suddenly had an account which was previously reporting completely dissappear from your report.

2.  Number of accounts in good standing and being paid regularly has gone down.

I've come to realize that tradeline reporting for student loans is an unmitigated b*tch.  If they're negative you can count on tons of transferred accounts filling up your report and dragging you down.  If they're positive, suddenly the multiple tradelines get combined down to minimize the positive impact.

Message 4 of 8
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone please explain to me why my experian score dropped 15 points from a "credit increase" from Fedloan Service (student loan). I don't know what it means and I didn't apply for any increase. I got screwed.

Are your loans in a deferment status?  If so, even though your loans are in a deferred status, interest continues to accrue on your unsubsidized loans.  Thereby, at the end of each deferral period, the interest is capitalized.  This means the accrued interest is added to your outstanding principal loan balance.  

This is more than likely what happened.  

Message 5 of 8
bradlin
Established Member

Seriously. Student loan reporting is a nightmare. It's really just one payment but if you're late it's 5-10 tradelines reporting that. It's something that should be fixed in the newer scoring models.

I agree with everything you say, but oddly I had the opposite experience. Recenly two of my student loans from the servicer were combined in my report and it looked like a CLI and my score went up 11 points on EQ FICO. But I can't figure out how. It reduced my number of accounts in good standing (both of those have perfect history) and my AAoA.

Message 6 of 8
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

@bradlin wrote:

Seriously. Student loan reporting is a nightmare. It's really just one payment but if you're late it's 5-10 tradelines reporting that. It's something that should be fixed in the newer scoring models.

I agree with everything you say, but oddly I had the opposite experience. Recenly two of my student loans from the servicer were combined in my report and it looked like a CLI and my score went up 11 points on EQ FICO. But I can't figure out how. It reduced my number of accounts in good standing (both of those have perfect history) and my AAoA.

i agree - my credit report is several pages long and it is mostly attributed to my student loans.  When my loans were with U.S. Department of Education - i had ~8 tradelines.  Thereafter, my loans were transferred to Nelnet.  I loved Nelnet because they only reported 2 tradelines.  

My loans were transferred a third time and they are now with Fed Loan Servicing.  Unfortunately, Fed Loan Servicing is reporting ~9 tradelines.  

To your point - they should only report 1 tradeline considering you make a single payment. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

TrueGeminiNC wrote

To your point - they should only report 1 tradeline considering you make a single payment. 

If only this were true! I have 20 tradelines reporting with Sallie Mae/Navient, but I only pay 1 bill.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.