cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I fix my student loan with rehab still?

tag
degs138
Established Contributor

Can I fix my student loan with rehab still?

I have a student loan that I only saw since I started checking my credit reports recently.  It is 3 loans from 2001-2003 for a total of 8041 dollars.  They have been asigned to a company CBE for debt collection as part of the US goverment.  They were direct student loans.  I am not sure what to do.  I want to rehab them or do something that would fix my credit.  These are all over 7 years old but still on my credit report.

Any advice is helpfull.  I don't want to do the wrong thing and end up with a collection account on my report for 7 years.

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
hoff33
New Contributor

Re: Can I fix my student loan with rehab still?

Have you tried disputing them to see if that would have them removed? 

Message 2 of 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

If these are Federal loans they will keep re-appearing on your credit report and nagging you until you get them paid.  The best thing to do is call the CA that holds the loans and ask them to set up a rehabilitation with you.  Once you complete the 9 payments for the rehab, your loans will be transferred to a regular servicer and you'll have all the same options as someone who never defaulted on their loans in terms of repayment plans, deferment and forbearance.

The even better news is that you'll also get a clean tradeline dating back to when your loans were originally disbursed, which means you'll get a very old tradeline added to your report to boost your AAoA.

Message 3 of 4
degs138
Established Contributor

Thanks for the advice.  I want to make sure that I don't have them paid off prior to 9 months.  each of the 3 loans is around 3000 dollars.  If they force me into a income based payment plan I might have them paid off in 8-10 months and then I won't have a chance to rehab.  Is there any guidelines to students loans so I can set the payments such that I can keep paying these down for 3 years?

FICO TU 757 Eq 741 116,900 Total revolving Credit.
Favorite cards: AMEX BCP, US Bank Cash+, Chase Sapphire Prefered
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.