cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I update TLs *during* rehabilitation?

tag
Capya
New Contributor

Can I update TLs *during* rehabilitation?

I'm 6 months into the process of rehabilitating my student loans, and the tradelines on my CR's still all report as collection accounts with no recent payments.

I phoned up the DoE, and asked if they could update the bureaus to reflect my current payment status, and they insisted that they could not, but that after the 9 months, everything would be sunshine and roses.

I'm wondering if I could send a dispute to the Bureaus, and more or less force the DoE to update my TL's?  I'm sure the benefit to my score would be minimal, but since I'm borderline obssessive about watching my score slowly crawl it's way back to respectability, any positive outcome would result in joy and celebration.

any thoughts or experiences?

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I update TLs *during* rehabilitation?

Wait until your rehab is done and let the tradelines update naturally.  Other folks with loans held directly through the DoE have reported great results here, but you do have to wait for them.  Disputing accurate information can do more harm than good, and I'd be worried about upsetting record-keeping at the DoE or something like that if your dispute did work and the CRAs dropped a bunch of information suddenly.

Until the rehab is complete, that reporting is accurate.  Your loans are still in default, and your rehab payments are not regular payments toward your loan, they are part of this special program that doesn't really have an analog anywhere else in the credit world.

Be patient.

Message 2 of 5
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

@SCF wrote:

Wait until your rehab is done and let the tradelines update naturally.  Other folks with loans held directly through the DoE have reported great results here, but you do have to wait for them.  Disputing accurate information can do more harm than good, and I'd be worried about upsetting record-keeping at the DoE or something like that if your dispute did work and the CRAs dropped a bunch of information suddenly.

Until the rehab is complete, that reporting is accurate.  Your loans are still in default, and your rehab payments are not regular payments toward your loan, they are part of this special program that doesn't really have an analog anywhere else in the credit world.

Be patient.

+1 Wait it out don't rock the boat.

Starting Score: 6/6/12: TU 585/EQ 472/ EX 561
Current Score: All 800's
Cap1 QS - $17k, Chase Southwest- $25k, Discover IT - $50k
Message 3 of 5
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Wait it out I rehabbed mine all the bad is gone now . Well worth the wait .
Message 4 of 5
Capya
New Contributor

Thanks for the advice y'all...  I'll be patient.   Three months just feels like so darn long!

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.