New Contributor
Capya

Can I update TLs *during* rehabilitation?

I'm 6 months into the process of rehabilitating my student loans, and the tradelines on my CR's still all report as collection accounts with no recent payments.

I phoned up the DoE, and asked if they could update the bureaus to reflect my current payment status, and they insisted that they could not, but that after the 9 months, everything would be sunshine and roses.

I'm wondering if I could send a dispute to the Bureaus, and more or less force the DoE to update my TL's?  I'm sure the benefit to my score would be minimal, but since I'm borderline obssessive about watching my score slowly crawl it's way back to respectability, any positive outcome would result in joy and celebration.

any thoughts or experiences?

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Community Leader<br> Established Contributor</br>
Community Leader
Established Contributor
SCF

Re: Can I update TLs *during* rehabilitation?

Wait until your rehab is done and let the tradelines update naturally.  Other folks with loans held directly through the DoE have reported great results here, but you do have to wait for them.  Disputing accurate information can do more harm than good, and I'd be worried about upsetting record-keeping at the DoE or something like that if your dispute did work and the CRAs dropped a bunch of information suddenly.

Until the rehab is complete, that reporting is accurate.  Your loans are still in default, and your rehab payments are not regular payments toward your loan, they are part of this special program that doesn't really have an analog anywhere else in the credit world.

Be patient.

Regular Contributor
mmmlive1999

SCF wrote:

Wait until your rehab is done and let the tradelines update naturally.  Other folks with loans held directly through the DoE have reported great results here, but you do have to wait for them.  Disputing accurate information can do more harm than good, and I'd be worried about upsetting record-keeping at the DoE or something like that if your dispute did work and the CRAs dropped a bunch of information suddenly.

Until the rehab is complete, that reporting is accurate.  Your loans are still in default, and your rehab payments are not regular payments toward your loan, they are part of this special program that doesn't really have an analog anywhere else in the credit world.

Be patient.

+1 Wait it out don't rock the boat.

Starting Score: 06/06/2012:FAKO TU 585/EQ 472/ EX 561
Current Score: TU98 688/TU08 644, EQ5.0 679/ EQ 680 (Cap1),
EX 652(Chase)/EX08 655

Goal Score: 700 by 12/2014
CC:Cap1 Venture-$3300, Quicksilver-$1750,Chase Freedom-$2200
Store Cards: Vic.Sec -$450, Walmart-$500 ,Gap $400( as of 3/28/2014)
Frequent Contributor
twall06

Wait it out I rehabbed mine all the bad is gone now . Well worth the wait .

STARTED MYFICO TU 569 EQ 618 1-30-13
CURRENT MYFICO TU 664 EQ 656 Ex ? 3-13-14
MERRICK BANK FICO 539 12-26-12 / 649 2-17-14
GOAL 680+ last ap 8-16-13

New Contributor
Capya

Thanks for the advice y'all...  I'll be patient.   Three months just feels like so darn long!

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+