cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone please educate me on something?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

Can someone please educate me on something?

Hi, all! I've read through A LOT of threads... but I'm still confused about something, so I'm really hoping someone (or a few of you, lol) can help me out...

I defaulted on all 7 of my federal student loans, 5 from Sallie Mae, 2 from another lender.

Sallie Mae filed a claim w/the government for all 5 loans, which I believe went to DOE... and then went to NJ HESSA... does that make sense? So now, I'm dealing with HESSA--requested to be placed in the rehab program, still waiting to hear back for payment amount.

So.. is THIS what happened? : after the claim filed w/government, my loans went to DOE... and then since I didn't pay them, they sent it to NJ HESSA? So now I'm going to be in rehab with HESSA? THey are NO help when I call, considering I'm on hold for literally 55 minutes. 

So once the rehabbed loan gets purchased, is it only the HESSA TL that will be deleted from my credit report? Or is it a dominoe effect? It's so confusing! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: Can someone please educate me on something?

Have you gone to www.myeddebt.com to see where your loans are currently assigned. Once you create a profile it should display your loans and the servicer/collection agency which you would then contact for the rehab program.

I don't believe that NJ HESSA is a defaulted loan servicer although they might have originated some of your loans. This is the list of collection agencies that the DOE contracts with. https://www.myeddebt.com/borrower/myoptions_collectionAgencies

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.