Frequent Contributor
ace9848

Can someone tell me - what does does a Stafford Loan mean?

Can someone clarify what a Stafford Loan is? Pretend (or just assume!) that I am an idiot and have never heard of such a thing. What is the definition of Stafford? Is this just undergrad or can a grad get it too?

Thanks.
New Contributor
CreditMizer

Re: Can someone tell me - what does does a Stafford Loan mean?

Stafford loan is a loan guaranteed by Federal Goverment. Since the loan is guatanteed you can get it with (almost) any credit score.

The loans use to be issued directly by goverment but now are issued by private banks but only "backed" by goverment. The name stafford loan is still used though.

To get stafford loan and any financial aid you first step is to file a FAFSA.

You can't apply for a Stafford loan like you would a credit card or car loan. Instead you file a FAFSA and release data to your school. The combination of results from FAFSA, cost of school, and your assets will result in a "package" school will offer which will include stafford loans, grants, reduced tuition, etc.

Generally speaking getting a Stafford loan is better than a private loan because rates are substantially lower especially for those with lower credit ratings.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+