cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you get an assistantship for graduate work, and also student loans?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you get an assistantship for graduate work, and also student loans?

If someone has a full assistantship (full tuition covered plus a stipend), does that disqualify them for student loans?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Cori

Re: Can you get an assistantship for graduate work, and also student loans?

No, I have a graduate assistant position and I have still utilized a student loan.
Start: 606 Transunion / 536 Equifax / 583 Experian

as of 12/13/2009: 630 Transunion / 563 Equifax /??? Experian

as of 4/11/2012: 680 Transunion / 641 Equifax / ??? Experian

2/14/2010: 632 Transunion
583 Equifax
??Experian.
Message 2 of 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

You need to talk to your Financial Aid office.  I believe that the amount of federal loans you can take out are based on cost of attendance, but if your college factors in expenses like books, travel and other living expenses, you should be able to take out a loan to cover that amount.  I think private loans vary by lender, but you should definitely be able to take some out.  Your Financial Aid offce will have all of the details and be able to walk you through your options.
Message 3 of 4
valley_man0505
Established Contributor

Be carefull with this.  My credit was destroyed by my decision to go to grad school.  I had an assistantship and was told by a financial aid counselor that I would also qualify for student loans.  With the student loans, I would have been able to continue making payments on my old debts, so I quit my job, enrolled in grad school, and moved across the country only to find out the financial aid counselor made a mistake.  My assistantship disqualified me from student loans.  Without these loans, I fell behind on my old credit card payments and they were ALL eventually charged off, leaving me with a credit score in the 400's coming out of grad school.

The problem was in the wording of the assistantship.  I attended a school that just merged into a larger school, so the wording error was discovered when it got transferred to the new school's financial aid dept.  The amount of student loans you are eligible for depends on the cost of living estimate done by the school minus any scholarships.  My assistantship was worded as such that it qualified as a scholarship when it wasn't, in fact, a scholarship since there were "work" requirements (lab research, teaching assistant, etc.) attached to it in order to keep it.  The rest of the school assistantships were worded such that they were considered "employment" income rather than "scholarship" income and, therefore, those students still qualified for student loans and I didn't even though we all had the "same" assistantships.

Message Edited by valley_man0505 on 02-24-2010 11:22 AM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.