Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged off Private Loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Charged off Private Loans

I do not even know where to start. My fed loans are in deferement which I am about to call and start paying on. I have no idea how to rectify the charged off private loans. I am planning on buying a house in 2 years so I would like to tackle this now. Am I ale to refinanace them and start paying on them. Should I call them and make arrangements. Right now both of them are reporting as charged off every month. I have figured with my rebuiling this is why my scores really aren't moving. Thank you in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Charged off Private Loans

Private student loans do not have the same gaurenteed options for getting out of default as federal loans.  Basically, you need to figure out what you can do (what type of lump sum and/or monthly payment can you afford) and then contact the lender to see what they will accept.  You could check out the Rebuilding Your Credit forums and look for folks who dealt with charged off installment debt for some ideas.

How old is the debt?  You will also want to know if it is outside the statute of limitations - once that happens, you can successfully defend against a lawsuit over the debt, and most lenders are far more likely to take a reduced settlement because they aren't able to collect the money through a judgment.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.