Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citibank private student loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citibank private student loan

Hi all.

I'm new here. I recently had a $1650 citibank private student loan sent to collections. The first agency it was with asked me to borrow money to pay it off. I refused and called Citibank directly. Citibank told me the loan would be sent back to them if the collection agency couldn't collect. Now I have a letter that the loan is with Capital Management Services, LP. They want $2765.87 for the debt. I have not talked to Capital yet. On my credit report is shows as being charged off by Citibank. My question is should I arrange to make payments to Capital Management? I can only afford $50 a month. If I make these payments will this help my credit score? I am also worried that if I arrange payments then they will try to sue me.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citibank private student loan

The first thing I'd figure out is whether or not your state's SOL has or has not expired. Look it up based on "written contracts". Most of the SOL periods are 6 years for written, but certainly can go as low as 4 years and as high as 15 years depending on where you live. If SOL already expired, then eliminate that worry from your mind.

I'd also check on the balance. It seems high. Certainly plausible in a given time frame of over a year, but you may want to do some math on that. Check your contract for the rate.

I'd do some creative rebudgeting to have the money saved to pay it off. Review your expenses. Increase income. Look to see if you'll get a tax refund. If inside SOL, they can sue and contacting them will increase the risk. However, once on a payment plan they cannot sue. Making payments won't improve your score. In fact, it'll lower your score in the long-term because each month you make a payment, they can update and mark a late on your CR (assuming Citi isn't reporting it as sold). Once you have 100% saved, then offer a PFD (you can offer less of course).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.