Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
New Visitor

Claim Filed with Government & Duplicate Loans

Hello,

My question is a bit different most the ones here.

I had three loans with GA Student Finance. When I applied for a Disability Conditional Discharge, the loans were given to the federal government. So, even though all three accounts were in good standing, they appear as negative accounts because GSFA reported them as "claim filed with the government". What can I do to fix that?

Now the US Department of Education has the three loans. Every time they moved them from one department to another, it created another listing on my credit report. The same happened when they changed management companies, ACS to Nelnet. It appears I have nine loans. It also appears I take out new student loans every two years or so. All, except the newest one, are listed as deferred or closed, paid as agreed. Which status is listed depends on the credit reporting agency. One listin has three late payments, but I have proof I wasn't required to pay them. Another says I paid below the required monthly amount. All the others are in good standing with no late payments

The question is do I leave these loans alone or try to have them consolidated into three US Dept of Ed. loans (ie the original loans GA sent them)? Or would it benefit me more to have 8 closed loans in good standing/never late? Should I try to get the ones listed as deferred switched to closed

Sincerely

Shali

Established Contributor

Re: Claim Filed with Government & Duplicate Loans

It seems that you had a few questions going on.  I would contact the loan company and try to find out what the status should report as.  As you stated, normally when there is "claim filed with the government" it means that the loans are negative and probably not going to get paid so the government (who guaranteed the loan) paid it.  Now, it may be the same thing if they paid the claim because of a disability clause.  You may want to check on that as I don't see who they could penalize you for a legitimate cancellation of your loan.

When it comes to all of the other loans on your report showing as closed, I would not worry too much about those.  If you are still in school, then I would wait until you finish school and then do a consolidation of all of your loans.  Each time you go into a new semester(or term) then normally it is a new loan placed on your credit.  But again, I wouldn't worry about this too much while you are in school.  Then once you get out of school, just have everything consolidated if that is smart for your situation and move forward.

Starting Score: Eq: 662 Tu: 532 (03/02/2011) CH7BK 01/12/2009 Discharge
Current Score: Eq: 692 (04/03/2013) Tu: 717 (04/03/2013)
Goal Score: Eq: 720 Tu: 740

Wallet: Chartway Visa 10k | AMEX Costco TE (AU) 25k | Cap One MC 750 | Cap One Visa 750

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.