Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up CR after rehabilitation

tag
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cleaning up CR after rehabilitation

I think for the most part if the negatives are with the previous loan holder (not DOE) people have had a problem getting the negatives removed.

However, if the negatives are with the DOE they should be removed.  It seems everyone is a little bit different but from I have read and talked with DOE about - it seems they are very cooperative and just do not respond to your disputes if you have rehabbed.

With mine, i was fortunate as the DOE was the loan holder of mine when I went into default.  They removed almost everything once rehab was done.  My loans did get picked up by Great Lakes.  The few that did not get removed I disputed and they were removed exactly on the 30 day mark.  

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 11 of 17
wevie

The loans are Stafford.  A mix of subsidized and unsubbed. 

I THINK originally I was paying through Direct Loans.  The derogs are listed as DoE.  I'm now paying NELNET and the positives are listed as DoE/NELNET.  Are these all the same entity or are DL and NELNET private companies?

Just got off the phone with DoE again now that their computer system is back up.

I was given the same response, however.  I was told to simply call the CRA's and dispute the derogatory marks from DoE.  The gentleman at DoE gave me three 800 numbers to call.  

Each of the numbers he gave, however, are just for the automated phone system to request reports.  I already have one and already have two on the way so those numbers did me no good.

I had already submitted a dispute online with Experian.  I know it is far too soon for an answer, but I wanted to see if they registered the dispute.  I checked online and they do show the two items under review.  Nothing to do now but wait.

I will wait for TU and EQ to send me hard copies of those CR's so that I can file proper disputes with them.

Message 12 of 17
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@wevie wrote:

The loans are Stafford.  A mix of subsidized and unsubbed. 

I THINK originally I was paying through Direct Loans.  The derogs are listed as DoE.  I'm now paying NELNET and the positives are listed as DoE/NELNET.  Are these all the same entity or are DL and NELNET private companies?

Just got off the phone with DoE again now that their computer system is back up.

I was given the same response, however.  I was told to simply call the CRA's and dispute the derogatory marks from DoE.  The gentleman at DoE gave me three 800 numbers to call.  

Each of the numbers he gave, however, are just for the automated phone system to request reports.  I already have one and already have two on the way so those numbers did me no good.

I had already submitted a dispute online with Experian.  I know it is far too soon for an answer, but I wanted to see if they registered the dispute.  I checked online and they do show the two items under review.  Nothing to do now but wait.

I will wait for TU and EQ to send me hard copies of those CR's so that I can file proper disputes with them.

Direct Loans is a program of the DoE. Nelnet is a private company that administers and collects student loans. Interesting that yours are reporting that way - mine were also DOE and then Nelnet but they report exactly like that. None of this DoE/Nelnet stuff.

(I should say my Stafford loans are reporting that way. Jury's still out on my Perkins loan.)

Message 13 of 17
100plus

I am having the same issue. My original lender told me that the loans had all been reportedas a total and are not included in the rehab. I disputed twice ffrom each bureau and the 16k acct was updated to closed and paid. My other 7 student loans are all showing current NVR late some since 2005. My TU went from 547 to 699. My EQ from 477 to 638 and EX 513 to 634. I also had some reestablished credit. 2 cap ones PD off but open 1 first premier and 1 finger hut all PD off. I also obtained and PD off two Spring leaf in. Installment loans. I just obtained a 7k auto loan at my credit union as a D tier of 9.25apr!!! With no money down
Message 14 of 17
100plus

Message 15 of 17
User648836

The original loan servicer can remove the "Defaulted/Collections" status on your credit report if you ask them to make the change. They won't remove any negative credit reporting that happened when the loan was going past due and heading to default, however.

Often times collection agencies will tell you that ALL negative credit reporting will be removed. This just isn't true.

Message 16 of 17
Chris3k2
Regular Contributor

I agree. I have a student loan from South Carolina Student Loans. I defaulted on them sometime in 2011. I did the rehabilitation after 10 monthly payments. Received a paper showing a roadmap of what happens and info stating the loans would go back to current and it also said "it's client will remove its negative report from all 3 bureaus. Well SC student loans ended up picking it back up and they will not remove the lates so it's still listed as a negative account. It really sucks because I know it would bring my Credit Score up a little if they were all positve. I have 3 with them.

Starting Score: 03/29/2013 540 EQ 05/01/2013 614 TU 05/30/2013 606 EX (Lender Pull)
Current Score: 07/27/2013 639 EQ 07/27/2013 651 TU98 07/27/2013 650 TU04 07/27/2013 617 EX V2 07/27/2013 639 EX 08
Goal Score: 660 EQ 660 TU 660 EX

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.