cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning up CR after rehabilitation

tag
wevie

Cleaning up CR after rehabilitation

I've read many, many threads here and it looks like this might be hit or miss.

I'm VERY upset because I was told over the phone in early 2012 that if I finished the Rehabilitation that all negative marks on my CR would be removed.

I REALLY hope that is still a fact and that I can get this cleared up.

Background:  I have SIX current student loans that I am paying on and that show up on NSLDS.  I defaulted on these in 2010.  They were sent to collections and eventually a wage garnishment began.  In 2011 I began and successfully completed rehabilitation.  I made all payments through the program while suffering the garnishment.  My loans are currently with NELNET.  I have made every single payment on time since I completed rehabilitation in OCTOBER 2012.

All three CRA's have all six of my current student loans listed correctly.  Dept Of Ed / Nelnet.  Current Balance matches NSLDS.  Status is "Open/Never Late"; "Pays account as agreed"; "Paid or paying as agreed"

The problem arrises in that all three CRA's list some or all of my defaulted loans still.  This is what I was told over the phone would disappear. 

Transunion     
Loan #OCAct. NumberDate OpenedDate ClosedBalanceStatus
1US Dept Of Education Sep-06Jan-10$2,664.00Collection Account
2US Dept Of Education Sep-06Jul-10$1,596.00Collection Account
3US Dept Of Education Sep-06Feb-09$0.00Collection Account
4US Dept Of Education Feb-08Jan-10$4,129.00Collection Account
5US Dept Of Education Feb-08Apr-10$0.00Collection Account
6US Dept Of Education Feb-08Jul-10$5,095.00Collection Account
7US Dept Of Education Sep-08Jul-10$2,032.00Collection Account
8US Dept Of Education Sep-08Jul-10$3,676.00Collection Account

Equifax     
 OCAct. NumberDate OpenedLast ReportedBalanceStatus
2Dp of Educ Sep-06Dec-09$1,596.00120+ days past due
3US Dept Ed Sep-06Feb-09$0.00120+ days past due
4Dp of Educ Feb-08Jan-10$4,129.00120+ days past due
5US Dept Ed Feb-08May-09$0.00120+ days past due
7Dp of Educ Sep-08Jan-10$2,032.00120+ days past due

Experian     
 OCActOpenedClosedBalanceStatus
3U.S. Dept of Ed - Direct Loans Sep-06Apr-10$0.00Collection Account
?U.S. Dept of Ed - Direct Loans Feb-08May-10$12,689.00Collection Account

This morning I called the 800 number listed under defaulted student loans at http://www.direct.ed.gov/callus.html

I was told immediately that their computer system was down and that they would only be able to answer general questions.  I stated that this may be a general question and stated my situation in that I successfully rehabbed as of 10-2012 and that there were still derrogatory remarks on my CR.  The person I spoke to said my best course of action was to dispute the items through the CRA.

I filed a dispute online through EX for the two items they have listed.  I have to wait for a paper copy of my CR from TU and EQ before I can take any action thorugh them.

Any and all advice, guidance, words of support, etc. would be greatly encouraged here.

Am I doing the right thing?   Is there any hope? 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
kjel
Established Contributor

Re: Cleaning up CR after rehabilitation

I call this the "bait & switch" of the collection agencies. I was told that as well over the phone but the recent letter I received from the Department of Education states "Because you have rehabilitated this account, We have notified the national credit bureaus to delete the record of default from your credit record."

I mentioned it to a Dept. of Ed rep the other day and she said that wasn't the first time she heard borrowers telling her that the CAs sell people on updating the TLs to show paid never late. People that have had a TL wiped clean have usually been picked back up by their original lender, those that have been sold to others have had a mixed bag of results.

I haven't had my CRs updated yet but a couple of the active posters have and a number do have some issues in how they are reporting. If the loans you listed are rehabbed they should not show as a collections account, in default, or other negative identifier other than the late marks. I believe they should all be $0 of they are reporting under Dept Ed/Nelnet TLs separately. Try with a dispute through mail with copies of the documentation you have with notations of how you believe it should be reporting. I would include the prints from NSLDS that show what the balances are.

I also have the same issue with Equifax showing my FFEL loans that are paid and closed due to consolidation as a 120+ days late current status but reflecting a $0 balance and not reporting since the month they were paid off which doesn't make any kind of sense.

I have a question for you though since I was just picked up by Nelnet. On the tradeline when does it say it was opened?

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 2 of 17
wevie

@kjel wrote:

I have a question for you though since I was just picked up by Nelnet. On the tradeline when does it say it was opened?

Current NELNET tradelines show date opened corresponding to the dates I took out the loans.

Experian     
OCActOpenedLast ReportBalanceStatusReported Since  
Dept Of Education/Nelnet Sep-06Mar-13$549.00Open/Never LateReported since Nov 2012
Dept Of Education/Nelnet Feb-08Mar-13$1,422.00Open/Never LateReported since Nov 2012
Dept Of Education/Nelnet Sep-08Mar-13$691.00Open/Never LateReported since Nov 2012
Dept Of Education/Nelnet Sep-06Mar-13$917.00Open/Never LateReported since Nov 2012
Dept Of Education/Nelnet Feb-08Mar-13$1,754.00Open/Never LateReported since Nov 2012
Dept Of Education/Nelnet Sep-08Mar-13$1,266.00Open/Never LateReported since Nov 2012

Equifax     
CompanyAct. NumberDate OpenedBalanceStatus  
Dpednelnet Sep-06$917.00Pays account as agreed  
Dpednelnet Sep-06$549.00Pays account as agreed  
Dpednelnet Feb-08$1,754.00Pays account as agreed  
Dpednelnet Feb-08$1,422.00Pays account as agreed  
Dpednelnet Sep-08$1,266.00Pays account as agreed  
Dpednelnet Sep-08$691.00Pays account as agreed  

Transunion     
CompanyAct. NumberDate OpenedBalanceStatus  
Dept of Ed / Nelnet Sep-06$549.00Paid or paying as agreed  
Dept of Ed / Nelnet Sep-06$917.00Paid or paying as agreed  
Dept of Ed / Nelnet Feb-08$1,422.00Paid or paying as agreed  
Dept of Ed / Nelnet Feb-08$1,754.00Paid or paying as agreed  
Dept of Ed / Nelnet Sep-08$691.00Paid or paying as agreed  
Dept of Ed / Nelnet Sep-08$1,266.00Paid or paying as agreed  
Message 3 of 17
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

It looks like it is the DOE who is reporting the negatives.  

When I completed rehab they deleted my negatives but they missed a few.  When I called them they told me the same thing.  To dispute them.  I did that and they were all removed.  It took the full 30 days.  I think DOE just does not respond to the CRA thus at the end of 30 days they have to delete.  

I think you will have good luck going this route.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 4 of 17
wevie

@Kathy4NU wrote:

When I completed rehab they deleted my negatives but they missed a few.  When I called them they told me the same thing.  To dispute them.  I did that and they were all removed.  It took the full 30 days.  I think DOE just does not respond to the CRA thus at the end of 30 days they have to delete.  

Yes, I believe it IS the DOE reporting the negatives.

I'm going to call the DOE back tomorrow - hopefully they will have a working computer system this time.

I'm waiting on paper copies of my EQ and TU CRs.  I did a dispute online with EX but I didn't put much information other than "Rehabbed Student Loan."  I may have to follow up with a paper dispute. 

TU is the big list, 8 tradelines showing $19,192.

EQ shows 5 tradelines totalling $7757

EX only shows 2 tradlines but totalling $12,689

I REALLY hope this is a painless operation and that it bumps my FICO consideraby.

Message 5 of 17
kjel
Established Contributor

It is Dept. of Ed that is reporting you late and in collections still.

Your report looks much like mine with multiple entries for the same loan. Since I just got picked up by Nelnet, they haven't started reporting yet.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 6 of 17
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

@wevie wrote:

@Kathy4NU wrote:

I'm going to call the DOE back tomorrow - hopefully they will have a working computer system this time.

I'm waiting on paper copies of my EQ and TU CRs.  I did a dispute online with EX but I didn't put much information other than "Rehabbed Student Loan."  I may have to follow up with a paper dispute. 

I REALLY hope this is a painless operation and that it bumps my FICO consideraby.

You really do not need to wait for paper copies of your credit report.  Just write the letters and include your DOB and SS number.  You can state that you are disputing all the entries by DOE.  I don't think you even have to tell them why you are disputing them.  I simply wrote a letter, stated my SS number and DOB and said that information in my file reported by DOE is inaccurate.  30 days later it was all removed.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 7 of 17
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@Kathy4NU wrote:

@wevie wrote:

@Kathy4NU wrote:

You really do not need to wait for paper copies of your credit report.  Just write the letters and include your DOB and SS number.  You can state that you are disputing all the entries by DOE.  I don't think you even have to tell them why you are disputing them.  I simply wrote a letter, stated my SS number and DOB and said that information in my file reported by DOE is inaccurate.  30 days later it was all removed.

I did that and it was not removed, merely updated. The DOE tradelines were updated to show zero balances due, with no derogatory information from the date of default forward. But the stuff before that stayed. If nothing else, wevie, the old tradelines shouldn't show a balance due.

Message 8 of 17
cardsrams82
Established Member

I would think the collections should have been removed, but the lates are perfectly valid. From my personal experience and from what I've read, my working theory is that if your new lender after rehab is the original lender before rehab, the negatives are removed. If the lender before rehab differs than the lender after rehab, the negatives stay. But that's just my theory.

Message 9 of 17
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@cardsrams82 wrote:

I would think the collections should have been removed, but the lates are perfectly valid. From my personal experience and from what I've read, my working theory is that if your new lender after rehab is the original lender before rehab, the negatives are removed. If the lender before rehab differs than the lender after rehab, the negatives stay. But that's just my theory.

I think the type of loan may make a difference as well. Perkins loans generally go back to the institution that originated the loans, so you get the same-lender-before-rehab effect.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.