cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidate Student Loans While in Forbearance or Deferment?

tag
mochabean22
Established Member

Consolidate Student Loans While in Forbearance or Deferment?

My students loans are currently in deferment and some in forbearance. Are you able to consolidate them while they are in this status. I have loans with ACS, AES, Wachovia, and someone else (the name escapes me). I am getting confused, because all of the due dates are different and too many different lenders.

Would it be wise to consolidate or just leave them alone and think of a better way to manage these? I know for sure that when you consolidate, your principal seems to double and I am trying to buy a home within the next 6 months.

Please advise or give any suggestions.

TIA

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sassyat38
Established Member

Re: Consolidate Student Loans While in Forbearance or Deferment?

consolidate.  I was also in forbearance/deferment and I had about 9 with all various due dates and also could not keep up.  I had ACS/Sallie Mae, etc.  I consolidated and there is one payment and the rate was really good.  Also with consolidation you can also go into forbearance or deferment if needed.  One payment is better than 9 believe me.  Oh and my student loans for a Masters is about 75,000 welcome to the student loan club.
Message 2 of 5
mochabean22
Established Member

Do you think that this will affect me with trying to get a home loan? I'm looking to purchase within the next 6 months and I don't want it to affect anything.

Message 3 of 5
Nectarine
Contributor

If you have some federal loans, you can consolidate them no matter what with the federal government.

http://loanconsolidation.ed.gov/

The downside is that they only do federally-backed loans, so they don't do private loans at this time. Smiley Indifferent 

Message 4 of 5
mochabean22
Established Member

Thanks...

Will this hurt me and my DH from getting a home loan though?

Message Edited by mochabean22 on 10-26-2008 08:10 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.