Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidating my Perkins Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consolidating my Perkins Loan?

Hi all,

I have a Perkins Loan and can't afford the monthly payment, but Perkins Loans don’t qualify for income-based-repayment. I’m considering consolidating my Perkins Loan with other student loans that I have in order to qualify for income-based-repayment, but I would then no longer qualify for the various loan forgiveness programs offered for Perkin Loans. I’m a social worker and therefore may qualify for Perkins loan forgiveness programs in the future. However, if I were to consolidate my loans and qualify for income-based-repayment, it might allow me to have my loans forgiven after 25 years of low payments. I don’t plan to have much income for the foreseeable future, so I may be able to stave off paying a large portion of loans so that it will be forgiven after 25 years.

I’m hoping you can help me with the following 2 questions:

1) If I use all of the deferments and forbearances allowed on my Perkins Loan and then afterwards consolidate my Perkins Loan with my other loans, will that then allow me to take more deferments and forbearances on my newly consolidated loan?

2) Can you suggest the best general strategy for managing my loans, given the information I’ve provided?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Consolidating my Perkins Loan?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

I have a Perkins Loan and can't afford the monthly payment, but Perkins Loans don’t qualify for income-based-repayment. I’m considering consolidating my Perkins Loan with other student loans that I have in order to qualify for income-based-repayment, but I would then no longer qualify for the various loan forgiveness programs offered for Perkin Loans. I’m a social worker and therefore may qualify for Perkins loan forgiveness programs in the future. However, if I were to consolidate my loans and qualify for income-based-repayment, it might allow me to have my loans forgiven after 25 years of low payments. I don’t plan to have much income for the foreseeable future, so I may be able to stave off paying a large portion of loans so that it will be forgiven after 25 years.

I’m hoping you can help me with the following 2 questions:

1) If I use all of the deferments and forbearances allowed on my Perkins Loan and then afterwards consolidate my Perkins Loan with my other loans, will that then allow me to take more deferments and forbearances on my newly consolidated loan?

2) Can you suggest the best general strategy for managing my loans, given the information I’ve provided?

Thanks for your help.

Not really related to your questions, but 1) How many Perkins loans do you have? The monthly payment on them is $40 for each one so I'm just wondering if you're sure that you cannot swing it.

2) Have you asked for an economic hardship deferment on your Perkins loans? It's the Perkins loan version of IBR and is usually good for 6 months or so depending on the lender.

In response to your questions, 1) Yes, your consolidated loan will retain the same characteristics of your federal loans allowing for forbearances and deferments.

2) I don't really have a good general strategy for you as I am struggling with a similar decision right now. I would suggest that you see if you qualify for the Public Loan Forgiveness Program as then ALL FEDERAL loans you have would be forgiven after 10 years of ontime payments.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.