Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidating student loans and fico scores

tag
ineedadvise
Regular Contributor

Consolidating student loans and fico scores

My husband's student loans are almost out of their forbearance period.  He has three loans that total $475/ month.  If we consolidate them the repayment drops to $200/month.  Will consolidating the loans affect his credit score?  We are trying to buy a house within 6 months and his scores are currently 640 640 & 642.  We have some more CC debt to pay off which will help increase his scores, but I don't want to do anything that would hurt our scores.  Anyone out there that can help?
Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Consolidating student loans and fico scores

I can only tell you what happened to me; hope this helps.

I recently consolidated all my Sallie Mae loans with Direct Loans.  When that happened, I had a ten point drop in my scores after the new tradeline was added, but from what I understand, the drop is temporary and will probably not last more than a few months.  So, for me, it was only a few points and not too bad overall. 

Message 5 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
MizzB
Regular Contributor

I have the same question... I'm eager to see the responses. I have 7 independent students loans from undergrad and grad that I want to combine to keep track of payments when my foreberance is over. Will this affect my score? Also how will this impact my average age of accounts?

*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 2 of 22
ineedadvise
Regular Contributor

Hopefully someone will have an answer for us!  We've been through three layoffs (most recently Nov 08) so I know first hand how damaging they can be.  We learned from each and ended up better off each time and more prepared for the "just in case".  Best of luck to you!
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I, too, would like to know the answer to this. I'll be graduating soon and if left the way they are my monthly payment will be ~$500, but if I consolidate, I'm sure I'll pay at least $100 less a month. Anyone?
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently consolidated all my Sallie Mae loans with Direct Loans.  When that happened, I had a ten point drop in my scores after the new tradeline was added, but from what I understand, the drop is temporary and will probably not last more than a few months.  So, for me, it was only a few points and not too bad overall. 

Message 5 of 22
ineedadvise
Regular Contributor

Thank you!!  That's exactly what I wanted to know.  Obviously it's a case by case basis, but he has two Direct loans and one Sallie Mae...so hopefully that will be our situation as well. 
Message 6 of 22
MizzB
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. This is great information to have. I had a feeling that a drop would occur. Overall, I think in my siutaion a minor drop in points and having one tradeline to manage is better than the risk associted with me trying to manage multiple loans with multiple due dates.
*********************************************************************************
Current Score (04/20/20): EQ:673; TU: 691; EX: 688 (FICO)
Starting Score (01/20/17): EQ:511 (FICO); TU: 521 (FAKO)
CapOne QS MC: $10k | Chase Sapphire Preferred: $14.5K | OpenSky Visa: $500 | Green Dot MC $300 | Green Dot MC2: $300 | AMEX Gold CC: NPSL | AMEX Platinum CC: NPSL | Amex Gold Delta Skymiles: $3k | DiscoverIT Chrome: $5.6K
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome!

Direct Loans is also the best--easy to deal with and flexible.  It's also nicer to see your credit report with just one, simple installment loan (after consolidation) instead of all those separate (unconsolidated) loans reporting.  Simplifies things a lot.  

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

After consolidation with Direct Loans, my payment dropped.  It depends on which repayment plan you choose which, of course, depends on your personal financial situation.
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, by the way, paying down cc debt will help your score immensely, easily offsetting any point drop that occurs after consolidation.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.