cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consolidation and rehab, lender/servicer cleaned up old TLs, guarantor never did?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consolidation and rehab, lender/servicer cleaned up old TLs, guarantor never did?

I thought the guarantor removed derog's after you did a rehab? Or can you do it in such a way that nobody had to clean your TL's up? 

I had a history of defaulting on my SL's, getting well for a few months, defaulting again,etc. Did something with William D. Ford, messed that up. Finally extracted my head from inside my posterior and did a consolidation and then DOE rehab through Conserve, now with Direct Loans and never even a day late since 2004.

According to the NSLDB, my OC was Union Bank (they bought loans from BofA), the servicer was ACS and the guarantor was Calif Student Aid (CSA). I had a smattering of Staffords, a FFEL consolidated (default on that one) and a Direct Loans consolidated (never late since rehab).

ACS/BofA: One TL on EXP with the usual "claim filed with the gov't" entry, yet there's a couple TL's on EQ from earlier loans that show CLEAN! (They weren't and they are old entries, not the rehab). All the good TL's are on EQ and the bad ones on TU and EXP. Go figure.

CHELA/ACS:  Only on TU, appears to be a mirror of my current loan and only reported for two years at the end of my rehab. It's clean so I'l take it!

CSA: What does the guarantor show after my rehab? EQ: Paid collection, TU: Pay after C/O and EXP: "Paid, coll as of". There is not NOT ONE good TL on any CR from Calif Student Aid, my federal loan gaurantor, after doing a rehabilitation. 

So why is the guarantor still nailing me? On my EXP, I got trashed six ways from Sunday by both the servicer AND guarantor, rendering my EXP unusable. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: Consolidation and rehab, lender/servicer cleaned up old TLs, guarantor never did?

Ok...you had multiple defaults.  Sounds like you consolidated when CSAC held the loan, defaulted and then rehabbed?  If so then the CSAC is reporting correctly.  You did not complete a rehab of their loans...you rehabed your consolidated loan.  CSAC had to be the holder of the loan at the time you rehabbed for the deletion to take effect.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.