cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOE vs Sallie Mae Consolidation - Which one is better?

tag
sunflower17

DOE vs Sallie Mae Consolidation - Which one is better?

Hi Everyone:

I currently have my student loans consolidated with Sallie Mae and was considering switching to the Direct Loan Consolidation Program with the DOE (to later particpate in the Loan Forgiveness Program).

Does anyone know if there are any advantages/disadvantages to going with the DOE vs Sallie Mae? My goal is to GET RID of the $87K student loan but want to make sure I am with the right lender. I have already paid off my private loan with Sallie Mae and never really had issues with them other than the fact that I cant seem to jack down the principal on this loan even when making double/triple payments.

I have tried the startegy of calling them to apply the extra money to the principal but it still does not work with the daily interest rate accruing. Any ideas of what I can do or if the DOE would be a better choice?

PLEASE HELP!

thanks
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LynnInMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: DOE vs Sallie Mae Consolidation - Which one is better?

DOE ...hands down.  More repayment options, more loan cancellation options, better customer service.
Ex-Financial Aid Officer

Ex-Student Loan Collector
Message 2 of 3
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: DOE vs Sallie Mae Consolidation - Which one is better?

I've had both.  At least you know the score with Sallie.  DoE.  Their rules...you lose. 

I have had a LONG ugly battle (still unresolved) regarding their loan/and reporting practices.  They are part of the US govt...and they are never wrong.  Just keep that in mind when it comes to lates...how they contact you and how they report their information.

Mo

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.