Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daughter starting college!

tag
tisch0791
New Contributor

Daughter starting college!

So the time has come to explore student loans.  My daughter starts college next month (summer session right after graduation!)

Time to explore Sallie Mae for the loans.  She has no credit but I have a 717 score and I presume hubby and/or I will be cosigning?  Hubby's score is 714.  Is DTI a factor in student loans?

Is approval easy for these type of loans?  Never been down this road so figured I would inquire with anyone who has!  If there's a thread that already exists about all of this, I'd appreciate the link!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: Daughter starting college!

First explore scholarships and grants. Then Federal loans. By all means, try to avoid private loans at any cost.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 2 of 8
tisch0791
New Contributor

We did the FAFSA and the financial aid (Stafford Loans) offered was very little.  Under $3000. 

Message 3 of 8
tisch0791
New Contributor

Oh the 3000 is per semester.  Summer, Fall, and Spring.

Message 4 of 8
Luscher
Valued Contributor

scholarships, grants, federal aid, parent plus loans before private loans imo
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 8
cloudchase
Established Member

Have you tried for financial aid appeals to the school? They will reconsider your financial circumstances and sometimes give you more aid.

EQ: 700 (5/14) | TU: 733 (5/14)
Message 6 of 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

I think your first step is to visit with the school's financial aid office about all the options available.  They can take a second look at the aid package from your FAFSA and see if any adjustments might be in order and also guide you on scholarships or grants that may be available.  Your daughter's guidance counselor at her high school should also have resources for scholarships and grants.  These folks are experts and generally really excited to be helping young people prepare for school, make use of them.

Message 7 of 8
tisch0791
New Contributor

It's been a challenge to reach the financial aid office at the college (FSU) but I'm scheduling an appointment with the advisor at her high school ASAP.  If we had to go the private loan route, I was looking for insight with anyone whose had experience with that option as well.  Thanks everyone!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.