cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Student Loan Tax Offset - How much will be applied to Collection fees?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Default Student Loan Tax Offset - How much will be applied to Collection fees?

So I was expecting a nice $5,000 federal tax refund. After not receiving it, I checked on the IRS website about where it was. They said it had been “offset” to a creditor from the US Department of Education.This is a law that allows the federal government, in this case a private debt collection agency contracted by the USDoE, to take ALL of your tax refund for what is owed on defaulted student loans.

So the money is gone, I don’t want to try and get it back. I do hope that it is applied towards the principal and interest accrued on my defaulted loans though, and NOT to pay off some outrageous fee that the collection agency has tacked on to the loan.

I searched a bit and found this tidbit from the nolo legal website:

Tax Refund Offsets

If the Department of Education takes your tax refund (called a tax refund offset), it cannot charge collection fees. For this reason, you might benefit from a tax refund offset because 100% of the refund will be applied to the principle and interest on your student loan, and 0% will go to collection fees.

So is this true? Will 100% of the $5,000 be applied to my total principle and interest?

If so, should I wait until the offset is applied before I enter into rehabilitation? Because as it stands I owe about $17,600 in principal and interest, but the collection agency has said they added about $4,400 to the total (a 25% increase!) So assuming the nolo site is correct, my principal and interest will be reduced to $12,600 after the application of the tax refund offset. Then the ridiculous 25% fee added to the remaining balance would mean I am at $15,750. But I also read that if I enter into rehabilitation, that the fee is limited to 18%. Will then my balance be $14,868?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Default Student Loan Tax Offset - How much will be applied to Collection fees?

Im in the same mess as you and have been offset the past 2 years, 3 if you count this year. From my experience, yes, it all goes to principle and interest. Havent noticed it applied to any collection charges. Im waiting to check on the NSLDS after the 1st to see if they update the outstanding balances as well, that should also give you your answer. Go check whats on there now and wait for it to update, hopefully it will be next week and youll know. Also, get in touch with US Dept of Ed and see if you can work out  a rehab afterwards. I sent them a letter and am awaiting response so hopefully I can get everything taken care of and not have to deal with the CA. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Default Student Loan Tax Offset - How much will be applied to Collection fees?

Update:

Yes, all of the offset was applied to interest, and then principal. After a nominal $17 fee for the offset.

That is MUCH better than paying directly and having most of each payment eaten by collection agency fees.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.