Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defaulted Private Loan HELP

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Defaulted Private Loan HELP

I have to say I've seen nothing rude in any comments so far in this thread.

Asking questions is a way of gathering enough information to try and give an informed answer.

The written word has certain drawbacks because the reader often has no way to gauge what the writer is actually trying to say. I know I have been guilty of jumping to conclusions when I first read a post but when I really take the time to analyze what was said I realize I overeacted.

On any online forum if someone asks for opinions/suggestions/advice what they get back may not be exactly what they were looking for but that's the nature of the beast.

But there is a line that can't be crossed as far as what one poster says to another. That's why every post is read by one of the mods for content to make sure that things don't get out of hand. Lively debate is encouraged but within certain boundaries.

I typed way more than I intended. Sorry. I'll go now.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

JordanMedical, my private student loan went to collections in 2007. The CA that I have dealt with allow me to make monthly payments since I missed my window of opportinity for the OC to pull it back. We are still paying on it, and will be for a few more months. It never hurts to call the OC to see if they could pull it back, but the CA may be willing to set up a monthly payment plan. Once I had been making payments on mine for a while, they actually deleted the file from the CRA's. Good luck to you!!

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

wooooo...  Slow your roll Jordan, I didn't see anything rude about what the other guy was asking.  I was thinking the exact same thing.  You cannot get defensive or you will get no where in life.  I feel like your response was very rude and you are undeserving of any help by anyone at the Forum.

What was asked was how can you afford a house payment when you cannot afford to pay on your student loan.  That is a legitimate question.  The harsher underlying question should have been "What makes you think you are ever going to be approved for a Mortgage with credit score in the 400-500's and a 30k outstanding defaulted liability?" and "Do you have any idea how long it takes to get your score up  to a 620, especially with a 30K SL in default !?!?!?"

I am sure there are many other people who read your response and feel that you owe the other guy an apology.  All he was trying to do is help you, I am sure he has some great advice if you would listen.

Message 13 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

wooooo...  Slow your roll Jordan, I didn't see anything rude about what the other guy was asking.  I was thinking the exact same thing.  You cannot get defensive or you will get no where in life.  I feel like your response was very rude and you are undeserving of any help by anyone at the Forum.

What was asked was how can you afford a house payment when you cannot afford to pay on your student loan.  That is a legitimate question.  The harsher underlying question should have been "What makes you think you are ever going to be approved for a Mortgage with credit score in the 400-500's and a 30k outstanding defaulted liability?" and "Do you have any idea how long it takes to get your score up  to a 620, especially with a 30K SL in default !?!?!?"

I am sure there are many other people who read your response and feel that you owe the other guy an apology.  All he was trying to do is help you, I am sure he has some great advice if you would listen.

I disagree.. I think everyone deserves help...  Coming here and asking is Step 1... Listening and contemplating the responses to your post is Step 2... Getting the what you need in the short term is Step 3  Maintaining everything that you've got is Step 4

Good Credit is a journey not a destination.  Everyone deserves help along that journey.  I do come across as rather blunt when I'm asking questions on my kindle fire Smiley Wink

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 15
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Thanks run nursing, I'll give that a shot.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.