Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defaulted Sallie Mae Student Loan and who to pay back

tag
Dopieme
New Visitor

Defaulted Sallie Mae Student Loan and who to pay back

My husband had a student loan from Sallie Mae and it went into default.  It has been in default for many years.  We are in the process of trying to clear up our credit and pay those we owe money to.  I first logged into his Sallie Mae online account and can see the loan with all interest.  I went to call them to set up a payment arrangement of some sort and they connected me with Allied Intererstate.  This collection company has been a nightmare.  We have only read negative things about them so we refuse to give them bank account info or debit card info.  The refuse to do any type of repayment arragement (even for the full amount) without either are bank info or debit card number.  We have told them we'd be happy to send in monthly payments of 200 dollars and even offered to send in a lump sum payment immediatly for 1000 and another 1200 lump sum in august but only via money order or cashiers check.  They refuse.  They won't send us a bill showing the debt we owe so we aren't sure where to send a payment.  The thing I'm confused about is when you log into Sallie Mae online it stills allows me to make a payment even though the debt has been sold to Allied interstate.  If I just start doing the online payments with a prepaid debit or credit card via the sallie mae website will sallie then report it as paid?  Can I skip paying allied interestate and just pay sallie mae?  I'd much rather do that then this horrid collection company, but I don't want to pay it and then be told I needed to pay them.  Anyone have and experience like ours? 

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.