cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defaulted Student Loan, Off Credit Report, Want to Pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Defaulted Student Loan, Off Credit Report, Want to Pay?

Yes!!! I've been looking online for others with this same situation.

I have six separate student loans from 1998-2002 totaling $36k. Listed as "DEPT OF EDUCATION" I've been getting serious about credit clean up and this was my biggest target. Was ready to start into a rehab program and use my entire bonus to get a good chunk done in one payment. 

Well, I printed out a credit report yesterday, and it's gone! Poof. Off my credit report., It's just gone. All six loans. Its been eight years since it was first reported. 

Feeling stuck here. I WANT and am willing to repay my student loans. But now I've got the extreme baddie off my credit report, home ownership is a REAL possibility for me. I even have really good credit card/auto marks on there now. IS there ANY, ANY way I can get into loan rehab WITHOUT having these negative marks back onto my credit report?? 

Part of me wants to hoard every dime I possibly can and buy a little house before these six, HUGE negatives come back onto my credit report.  will they come back onto my credit report? Does wage garnishment show up on my credit? If they could just start garnishing my wages without some huge credit hit that would be a win/win, frankly.

Any advice? 

Message 11 of 14
humble1911
Established Member

As I'm in the same situation of a student loan dropping off, I have a quick question.  

Did you ever start the rehab program?  If so, did the loan show back up on your credit report?

Starting Score: 1/19/11 TU: 577 EQ: 541
Current Score: 11/15/11 TU: 681 EQ: 651
Goal Score: TU: 720 EQ: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 14
tburns
Regular Contributor

@humble1911 wrote:

As I'm in the same situation of a student loan dropping off, I have a quick question.  

Did you ever start the rehab program?  If so, did the loan show back up on your credit report?

I was in the same situation last year. My defaulted loans weren't on my reports but my Tax returns were garnished still.

I completed rehab in July '11 and near the end of August it popped back on my report backdated to the original loan date all paid as agreed no negatives giving me 13 years of perfect history.

Message 13 of 14
jbell
New Visitor

I am in the same situation...really want to start rehab, but my credit is slowly building in the right direction.  What happened to your credit report/loans during the rehab period?  Did they reappear?  Were they listed as default?  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.  Thanks!!!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.