Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defaulted student loans, do I have any options? Need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Defaulted student loans, do I have any options? Need advice

Hi everyone. I graduated college in 2008 with a ton of student loan debt which was a mix of private and federal loans. I defaulted on them when i was going through a hard time. I was able to rehab the goverment loans, but the private loans (about 40k) are currently still in deault. I tried working and negotioating with the lender and they are so difficult to work with they are only willing to accept a huge settlement and won't budge.

I am getting to an age where I am thinking of buying a home soon and having this on my credit will be a huge problem. I can't even take a personal loan out to use as a settlement since my credit is damaged.I have spoken to an attorney that said he can help work a payment plan and negotiate but they are so expensive. I am not sure if I have any options?

I was thinking about just sending payments in until i can get the balance lower then try and settle?? I am working a much better job than I was when I defaulted so I can afford a decent amount monthly payment to put a dent in the princpal. But I am no where near able to come up with what they want to settle. Any advice woule be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Defaulted student loans, do I have any options? Need advice

You've basically run through your options - find a way to pay off the debt otherwise, negotiate a settlement with the creditor, or make payments (or some combination of these).  Eventually, the statute of limitations will run out on the debt, but whether making payments extends this clock depends on your state.  Until the SoL expires, you have very little defense against a lawsuit that could result in a judgment and consequences like your wages being garnished.

Personally, I would research the SoL in your state and determine how much longer that lasts before doing anything else.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Defaulted student loans, do I have any options? Need advice

When you say Private loans, can you be more clear? I am a Student Loan Consultant and it would help if you can tell me more.

About your rehab loans, we're they consolidated? Who is the server? How much is your payment?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.