Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred loan reported as 120+ days past due

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deferred loan reported as 120+ days past due

My girlfriend just signed up here to check out her credit report. Equifax shows a typical 21 year old college student 598 score... except that I don't think that's quite right. She's showing a 120+ day delinquency on her student loan. The problem with this is that she's never paid late, and she basically CAN'T pay late because her loan is deferred until at least December of this year.

Apparently her loan has been sold numerous times, so it's my guess that someone somewhere screwed up, thought they still had the loan, and reported it as late. Or, equally possible, the newest company simply doesn't understand what a deferral is and screwed up by thinking she's late on her payments.

I'm going to have her pull her TU and see what that says. Has anyone run into a situation like this before?

*EDIT*

To add to this really quick, she says that her loan company's website doesn't show a payment due and hasn't since her deferral started. 

Message Edited by thearmofbarlow on 03-07-2010 02:02 AM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Deferred loan reported as 120+ days past due

Errors with in-school deferments certainly do happen.  I would get together all of the paperwork you have for the loan and records of her attendance at school and then call the company and discuss the mistake with them.  If you have your documentation for her being in school you should be able to get it cleared up.  If you have trouble, you might post the company that's holding the loans and see if anyone here has specific experience with them or a "back door" type number that you can call.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Deferred loan reported as 120+ days past due

No comment on the "Back Door Method"....  But I have a student loan with US Dept Ed and have a similar problem.  Over two years ago I requested forbearance for six months.  This is something you can do if you know you won't be able to pay.  When the forbearance ended I continued to pay on time.  But when I pulled my credit at the beginning of my credit rebuild project, I found they had a bunch of 120+ lates listed because I went 6 months without a payment.  

They had corrected the payment amount due to reflect the forbearance, but never fixed the lates.  

I tried calling, a GW letter, and disputing the lates but it didn't work.  The last late is reported a April 2008, so within 30 to 60 days I'll have 24 months of good payment history with them, but to my understanding it still shows in the score.  This means my score could be affected until 2015!

If you find a thread with good suggestions or have any other ideas please let me know.

Good luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.