Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferrment -- Forgivegiven or something.... need all ideas

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deferrment -- Forgivegiven or something.... need all ideas

I personally have never had a student loan so this area is quite foreign to me.

Background:  A very good friend of mine is in trouble with loans accumulaed from Law School. These were paid without a problem until recently when he was involved in an auto accident in September 2008 (head injury involved) and can not practice now and probaby will never be able to again (permanent damage to memory, physical abilities etc).

Any suggestions, letters, approaches will be very much appreciated by both of us.

TIA,

Sandy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Deferrment -- Forgivegiven or something.... need all ideas

He needs to contact his lender. I believe there would be options open to him, but posters here won't have the information needed to answer you.

For example: Are they subsidized loans? Private loans? Consolidated? etc, etc, etc

It's too bad this life-changing event happened to him, but the options need to be spelled out by his lender.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Deferrment -- Forgivegiven or something.... need all ideas

Hi There- He needs to contact his lender- or if in default the Guarantee agency.  Typically the guarantee agency will be either the US dept of Ed or the State Dept of Ed.  He can also look up his accounts on the National Student Loan Services Database.  When he contacts them he needs to ask for a disability application.  The Application does require a Dr's Signature, and does take time to process but if US Dept of Ed approves they will forgive his loans.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.