New Contributor
huntsmama

Deferrment affect on score?

Hi everyone! I just had one of my student loans deferred cause I'm back in school, one was inelligible for whatever silly reason. No big deal, I can afford to pay them, but I was wondering what, if any, affect the deferrment would have on my credit score?

Established Member
Barris

Re: Deferrment affect on score?

Looking at it from a linear prespective, deferments do not affect your score as long as you pay when payments are due. On the other hand, since your FICO score is the sum of a number of components like your total debt balance and the number of balances on your accounts, your score might take a small hit.

Regular Contributor
iDShaDoW

Re: Deferrment affect on score?

Yup, while your student loans are deferred your monthly payment is basically set to $0 and your account should be updated "Paid as Agreed" or something like that each month.

I definitely did notice that after graduating my PSECU FICO went from the 805-815 range down to around 780 for no apparent reason where it's stayed since.  I've had no new accounts, utilization increase or anything of the like either.

Walmart Discover TU08 FICO 07/11/14: 775 AMEX EX FICO 08/21/13: 775 PSECU EX FICO 07/05/14: 782

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+