Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferrment affect on score?

tag
huntsmama
New Contributor

Deferrment affect on score?

Hi everyone! I just had one of my student loans deferred cause I'm back in school, one was inelligible for whatever silly reason. No big deal, I can afford to pay them, but I was wondering what, if any, affect the deferrment would have on my credit score?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Barris
Established Member

Re: Deferrment affect on score?

Looking at it from a linear prespective, deferments do not affect your score as long as you pay when payments are due. On the other hand, since your FICO score is the sum of a number of components like your total debt balance and the number of balances on your accounts, your score might take a small hit.

Message 2 of 3
iDShaDoW
Regular Contributor

Re: Deferrment affect on score?

Yup, while your student loans are deferred your monthly payment is basically set to $0 and your account should be updated "Paid as Agreed" or something like that each month.

I definitely did notice that after graduating my PSECU FICO went from the 805-815 range down to around 780 for no apparent reason where it's stayed since.  I've had no new accounts, utilization increase or anything of the like either.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.