Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted by cra.... not quite!!! Please Help

tag
Aallmo
Valued Member

Deleted by cra.... not quite!!! Please Help

I had 10 student loans form us department of education I recently disputed with equifax. I recieved a confirmation about two days letter saying they were all deleted. After fighting to have these removed for about a year I was beyond excited. A day later I pull my credit report and the items are still there. I call equifax and they said there was a mistake and in fact they were still investigating. Is there anything I can do to make them follow through and delete the items they told me they had deleted? Please help

Starting Score: 535
Current Score: 667
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dudedudedude
Established Member

Re: Deleted by cra.... not quite!!! Please Help

I would file a CFPB complaint on the CRA with a copy of the confirmation of the accounts being deleted. 

Message 2 of 8
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

What was the basis of your dispute? They can put them back on if they investigate and the decision is not in your favor.
Message 3 of 8
SCF
Valued Contributor

CRAs have a specific timeline to investigate disputes.  I can't remember exactly, but I do think how you submit your dispute and possibly the nature of it can impact that timeline.  I would do some research here (the Rebuilding Your Credit forum should have some good threads) and determine how long Equifax has to respond.  Unfortunately, they don't have to do something just because they accidentally sent you an e-mail.  They DO have to make a final decision within that fixed amount of time and update your report if appropriate.

If they don't get back to you within the time period, that's when I would escalate to the CFPB.

Message 4 of 8
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@SCF wrote:

CRAs have a specific timeline to investigate disputes.  I can't remember exactly, but I do think how you submit your dispute and possibly the nature of it can impact that timeline.  I would do some research here (the Rebuilding Your Credit forum should have some good threads) and determine how long Equifax has to respond.  Unfortunately, they don't have to do something just because they accidentally sent you an e-mail.  They DO have to make a final decision within that fixed amount of time and update your report if appropriate.

If they don't get back to you within the time period, that's when I would escalate to the CFPB.

I am pretty sure the timeline is 30 days, but OP you should confirme it.

Message 5 of 8
Aallmo
Valued Member

ok thanks

Message 6 of 8
Aallmo
Valued Member

i filed the dispute because during the time I has derogatory late marks I felt the loans were in forbearance. So when they they sent me confirmation saying the tradelines had been deleted I thought that was the end of it. Unfortunately it wasn't the loans are still there

Message 7 of 8
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@Aallmo wrote:

i filed the dispute because during the time I has derogatory late marks I felt the loans were in forbearance. So when they they sent me confirmation saying the tradelines had been deleted I thought that was the end of it. Unfortunately it wasn't the loans are still there

The bolded might not be enough reason for the credit reporting agencies, to be honest. What they're going to investigate is whether there was an error in the way the loans were reported. If the loans should have been in forbearance, do you have any documentation proving that? Does whichever agency is servicing your student loans also feel that your loans were in forebearance?

Credit reporting agencies look for errors in reporting. They're not going to remove lates based on a misunderstanding, unfortunately, otherwise they'd be unable to report accurately. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.